noise while slipping in auto mode (fixed)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

noise while slipping in auto mode (fixed)

Postby doctahjones » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:46 am

kept forgetting to post about this...

i recently had my front & rear diff and xfer case fluids changed (since i'm still under an ext warr i wanted to have proof they were changed instead of just me doing it).

before that whenever it was rainy/slick i would turn traction off, put it in auto and have a little fun sometimes. whenever i'd stomp on it a little and the front would engage (or would engage fully) it would sound something like when abs kicks in, or this kind of....almost like metal being stressed and pinging or something.

after i got the drivetrain fluids changed i no longer get that noise. I also don't have the 'bump' when manually downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

additionally the mechanic said that the pinion seal to the rear drive shaft was starting to leak just a little and i needed to watch it.

should that rear seal be covered under either the drivetrain (60k) or extended warranty? fun part is i'm at 53k miles, so i'm coming up on the expiration of the drivetrain warr and if i can't get it to leak before then.....

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:06 am

woo, actually just found in the manual online and it's supposed to cover seals. now i just need to get it to leak a little....

sucks because if the mechanic would have just left it, then i would have had nissan do the front and saved a little $ :P

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:15 am

FINALLY! Mine makes the same sound, And it's been pissing me off for quite a while. You might if saved me ALOT of time chasing a ghost problem.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: noise while slipping in auto mode (fixed)

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:49 am

doctahjones wrote:additionally the mechanic said that the pinion seal to the rear drive shaft was starting to leak just a little and i needed to watch it.

should that rear seal be covered under either the drivetrain (60k) or extended warranty? fun part is i'm at 53k miles, so i'm coming up on the expiration of the drivetrain warr and if i can't get it to leak before then.....
I would think the seal should be covered under the drivetrain warranty.

See my recent post for possible cause of pinion seal leaks!

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=6883

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”