Engine coolant smell when the AC is on

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

wilto

Engine coolant smell when the AC is on

Postby wilto » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:49 am

Over the past few days when running the AC I've noticed that sweet maple/honey smell in the cabin, I can;t smell it on the outside.

Tranny bypass has been done and there are no visible leaks on my garage floor.

Any ideas?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:51 pm

When you smell coolant in the cabin, I think of 3 things...

1) Coolant leak

2) Coolant overflow bottle too full, or possibly the rubber hose that is supposed to run to the ground if it overfills has fallen off and therefore leaks into the engine bay infront of the vent for cabin air.

3) Leaking heater core. Bad news.

wilto

Postby wilto » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:28 pm

I let the PF run while I was installing new floor mats, a good 15 mins with the ac on full blast.

Smell is as strong as ever inside the cabin, nothing on the outside - no coolant leak on the ground, quite a bit of water condensation but that is to be expected.

:? :(

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Have you tried replacing your cabin air filter? Also have you looked next to the glass where the wiper arms are attached. An animal could have built a nest in there and now leaks off a coolant smell. I had this problem with my Jeep. Not sure how they got in there, but I was able to open it up and clean it out, as a Mouse had built a nest in there.

wilto

Postby wilto » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Cabin air filter was black....I'll run by autozone and get them tomorrow morning although I doubt that will fix the issue.

Assuming it is the antifreeze, whatever chemical causes that smell - is it detrimental to health if AC is used for extended periods of time?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Not sure long term effects of smelling but I know drinking coolant is bad for you, so I would assume smelling it would also not be healthy for you either.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”