Unable to accelerate

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

ile

Unable to accelerate

Postby ile » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 am

Hi everyone,

I wanted to register here earlier to post few photos of my pathfinder but now I am forced to post a question related to a problem I faced recently. Model is 2007 LE (automatic). I was driving with cruise set to on. I can't remember if I first tried to accelerate with cruise still being turned on but in each case, later the cruise was turned off and I pushed the throttle maximum and the car couldn't accelerate more than 80km/h. After few kms, I stopped the car and then everything was working normal then.
Any idea what could cause this problem? Could it be related with cruise mode?

I appreciate any help.

Regards,
Ile

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:09 am

probably a blip with the Throttle Position Sensor. I would check for any loose connectors under the hood.

Is the check engine light illuminated? If so, you should get the error code and share with the forum.

t

ile

Postby ile » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 am

disallow wrote:probably a blip with the Throttle Position Sensor. I would check for any loose connectors under the hood.

Is the check engine light illuminated? If so, you should get the error code and share with the forum.

t
Check engine light is not illuminated. That's the only time I faced that problem. Where is Throttle Position Sensor located?

Thank you for your answer.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:19 pm

The TPS is part of the TAC (throttle control actuator), located at the front of the intake plenum. Even with the MIL "off," you still might want to check for stored trouble codes. Accelerating with the cruise "on" would not, or should not, cause a problem and if the cruise was set to "off" at the time, I can't see it being a cruise control problem. There have been some grounding issues in mid-90's Nissans (Pathfinder, included). This would be indicated by a CAN system trouble code, accessible with a higher end scantool (and not be a generic code reader). You would need the freeze frame data, as well, to confirm this with the TSB on the issue. For now, if no generic OBDII codes are found, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the issue re-occurs.

ile

Postby ile » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:19 pm

smj999smj wrote:The TPS is part of the TAC (throttle control actuator), located at the front of the intake plenum. Even with the MIL "off," you still might want to check for stored trouble codes. Accelerating with the cruise "on" would not, or should not, cause a problem and if the cruise was set to "off" at the time, I can't see it being a cruise control problem. There have been some grounding issues in mid-90's Nissans (Pathfinder, included). This would be indicated by a CAN system trouble code, accessible with a higher end scantool (and not be a generic code reader). You would need the freeze frame data, as well, to confirm this with the TSB on the issue. For now, if no generic OBDII codes are found, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the issue re-occurs.
Hi,

this problem happened again today. The problem is that car was at authorized service right after we bought it and regular service was made. Mileage is now at about 160,000km.
What is TSB and CAN?
This is starting to be frustrating, there are no any errors shown but it can't accelerate :S

Thank you!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:27 pm

I would disconnect the battery for a while. reset the computer. See if that helps.

t

ile

Postby ile » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:33 pm

disallow wrote:I would disconnect the battery for a while. reset the computer. See if that helps.

t
How to reset the computer? Is disconnecting battery enough?
Why would you think this can help?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Your car has an computer. Just like at home, at times the computer requires a hard reboot and for you car that would be unpluging the battery. It will reset and maybe clear any issues you have. It can only help. It won't hurt the vehicle. Maybe loss of preset radio stations, but that's not a big deal.

ile

Postby ile » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:39 pm

The problem is constant now, power of the car is very weak

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Have you checked your exhaust? Possible CAT malfunction that has clogged the CAT.

ile

Postby ile » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm

volvite wrote:Have you checked your exhaust? Possible CAT malfunction that has clogged the CAT.
What exactly do I need to check? Do I need to have some special tool for it? Sorry for asking dummy questions but I don't have good knowledge about cars, as you can see :)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:32 pm

another consideration, might your transmission fluid be coolant-contaminated?

ile

Postby ile » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:43 am

A quick update:
I left a car at the service but the power was back on when I took it there. Anyway, their diagnosis is that power loss is caused by DPF system. Regeneration was done on last service but looks like still something needs to be done. Maybe "software reset/update", maybe replacing some sensor.

I just realized that in US (and on this forum) there are no many diesel's, that's why I didn't find much info about DPF.

ile

Postby ile » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:25 am

This is the warning light that's currently ON.

I just received a call from service and they told me they couldn't do much this time, I'll have to make regeneration myself on the road and if this problem happens again they'll probably have to change sensor in DPF system.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 am

What is year is your pathfinder?

You are correct, we don't have diesel pathfinders here in the US.

Fortunately, I work in the heavy duty diesel industry, though, so I know what you are talking about.

There are 2 types of regeneration, active and passive. Regeneration is the heating up of the DPF (diesel particulate filter) to covert the collected soot (yucky black-ish smoke that used to come out of diesel tailpipes) into ash (white powder we now find on our cars when we come out in the morning. less yucky).

Passive regeneration occurs when the vehicle is running, usually at cruising speed, and allows the DPF to reach the temp required to burn off the soot. The problem is that if you do a lot of city driving or idling, you may never reach this threshold.

Which is why there is active regeneration. Active regeneration is when the ECM actually dumps fuel into the exhaust stream to heat up the DPF and get the soot burnt off. I am not familiar with the Nissan system, but usually it gives you a warning so you can ensure your not on anything combustible (grass, in a forest, etc.) or there is nothing near your tailpipe (dogs, babies, etc.) It will then heat up. On our buses, the exhaust temps can reach well over 800F (cools off really fast as you get further from the tailpipe). Its HOT.

Your warning light could be an indication that the regen has failed, or that a sensor in the system is reading incorrectly. There are a couple of forums which may have more Nissan specific knowledge in this regard. There is an aussie PF forum for instance:

Pathfinders' Club of Australia Home Page - www.pcoa.org.au/

On an unrelated topic, I would love to import a diesel pathfinder, preferable Left Hand Drive. The towing power these things must have, especially the 3L v6 diesel must be something else, plus the fuel economy of the diesel. Why in the heck don't we have these in North America??!?! Jeep sold a diesel Cherokee and Grand Cherokee for a couple years, I think 07-09. These things are ridiculously expensive though, like well over 30k for a 6yr old vehicle. Some of them were over 70k new!!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”