Extended Warranties

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

MonkeyMike

Extended Warranties

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:40 pm

I have only seen a few mentions of extended warranties here. Is anyone willing to send me a PM or email me and let me know what you paid for your warranty, what level it was, and what coverage month/mileage you picked.

I have a price from my stealer and and want to know how low i can push him down.

thanks,
~mike

SilverGhost

Re: Extended Warranties

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:44 pm

MonkeyMike wrote:I have only seen a few mentions of extended warranties here. Is anyone willing to send me a PM or email me and let me know what you paid for your warranty, what level it was, and what coverage month/mileage you picked.

I have a price from my stealer and and want to know how low i can push him down.

thanks,
~mike
When I bought my new '06, I paid $1395 for the Nissan Gold Preferred 6/75,000. Canceled it one month later for a full refund (decided it wasn't worth the price).

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:53 pm

I think I posted this somewhere else, but I was also offered the warranty at $1400. The Nissan finance guy they stuck me with had breath that put me on the edge of vomiting, so I tried to get out of there quick. He did have to go through all the dealer upsale crappola. Once I said NO to the $1400, he immediately asked if $800 would be worth it. I thought about it a few seconds, but ultimately said no. I think it was 5 or 7 years coverage beyond the warranty coverage. Both may parents have had Nissans/Datsuns in the past and never had problems. I'll see what they offer when they send me info for extended coverage once my regular coverage is up. Maybe I'll change my mind, or maybe I'll just be riding a bicycle at that point.
Last edited by NVSteve on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:23 pm

thanks for the info so far... im actually really torn about whether or not to get the extended warranty. im really glad i had it on my current car (cavalier z24). yeah, i know its a POS to start with. the warranty on that car was definitely worth it. i had some big engine and transmission problems that were covered for the $100 deductible.

i might see how low they are willing to go, and if i cant get it low enough i will probably pass and hold out for the warranty extension offers later in the life of the truck.

fyi, when i placed the order, i was quoted $1500 for 7 yr / 84K miles (at least i think thats what the yr/miles were). i would probably take it for $800. ive already factored it into the cost at $1500, so taking that out of the financed amount would be nice.

thanks,
~mike

geoffstgermaine

Postby geoffstgermaine » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:16 pm

I never buy the extended warranties offered on any product. Simply put they are not worth it on average and in the long run. Never purchasing one will put you far ahead in the long run. Figures that I've seen show payouts on extended warranties to be between 5% and 20% of the cost of the warranty.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:13 pm

geoffstgermaine wrote:I never buy the extended warranties offered on any product. Simply put they are not worth it on average and in the long run. Never purchasing one will put you far ahead in the long run. Figures that I've seen show payouts on extended warranties to be between 5% and 20% of the cost of the warranty.
Precisely why I cancelled mine.

Aside from this episode, I've only bought two extended warranties in my life, and both fortunately paid off . . . one for a flat screen TV (CRT type) that died (~ $1,000 benefit) and the second for a pair of floor-standing stereo speakers (about a $400 payoff). My cost for the two combined was around $100, which covered more electronics gear than just those two items. That's a 14:1 investment return over about 5 years! Both, BTW were from the same big-box electronics store that we all know and love.

Just like any other protection, it's great if you need it, worthless if you don't! :wink:

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:32 pm

The April 2008 issue of Consumer Reports, the yearly car issue, has an article about extended warranties. They essentially say it's not worth it unless you're buying a very troublesome model.

I didn't get one. After 20 years of Nissan ownership(my first was actually a Datsun), I don't feel like I gambled. That and the fact that Nissan dealerships are typically hard to convince to cover something under warranty. They love to claim abuse or lack of maintenance even when it's obvious it's not.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 pm

08Datsun wrote:The April 2008 issue of Consumer Reports, the yearly car issue, has an article about extended warranties. They essentially say it's not worth it unless you're buying a very troublesome model.
Think it's spelled J-e-e-p
This image brings tears of joy to my eyes. That F-n POS was in the shop once a month every month for the entirety I owned it untill it hit 100k and the extended warrenty ran out. Thank God for out of their mind old people driving with revoked licenses "blacking out" behind the wheel (turning illegally). No one was hurt, but I was 45 min late to work that day and had to drive my beater 89 subaru for 6 months. I bought the warrenty under a friends advice... Best advice I ever got.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”