Air Lift Rear Suspension Kit

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

SilverGhost

Air Lift Rear Suspension Kit

Postby SilverGhost » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:09 pm

This is for anybody who's still considering the AirLift kit for their 2WD R51 - yeah, I know, we're few and far between. I would prefer the OME suspension upgrade that some have done, but it's just overkill for me in terms of cost and need.

In an earlier thread, I talked about AirLift not offering a kit specifically for our 2WD trucks. Kevin, at AirLift, stopped short of telling me we could use the kit they make for 4WD's, suggesting that we use their Kia Sorento kit instead. I never got comfortable with that idea, 'cause the bags were way smaller than the spring cavity.

I've found that Firestone makes, or at least distributes a similar, if not identical, kit that they say fits both 2WD and 4WD models. I suspect AirLift makes these for them, but I can't confirm that. Relative prices are about the same - $95 bucks or so for the complete kit.

The PITA part of it is you gotta order the kit through a local retailer, not a Firestone store. For those interested, it's kit #4166. Firestone's site link - http://www.fsip.com/riderite/applicatio ... ssan.shtml# . I found it interesting that this kit is just for the '06-'08 models. For whatever reason, the '05's have a different kit number. Once you get to their site, you can search for local retailers/installers.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this one.

(edit) Sorento, not Sportage.
Last edited by SilverGhost on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:05 pm

Are you going for the air compressor /gauge setup as well?

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:07 pm

Greybrick wrote:Are you going for the air compressor /gauge setup as well?.
Nope . . . I'll rely on my trusty manual pressure check once a week, and hope for the best . . .

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:05 am

Interesting, the Firestone kit looks almost identical to the Airlift. I did put the Kia Sorento Airlift 1000 kit in my '05 RWD, by the way. It's been great, really tightened up the handling. I generally keep them at 20 PSI, unless towing or making a heavy haul, but that's rare. Either this or the Firestone kit would probably work equally as well.

As for the valve stems, I put them right behind the rear wheels on the horizontal portion of the rear quarter panels...seems to work well and they're out of sight.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:40 am

LittleStevie wrote:Kia Sorento Airlift 1000 kit . . . Either this or the Firestone kit would probably work equally as well.

As for the valve stems, I put them right behind the rear wheels on the horizontal portion of the rear quarter panels...seems to work well and they're out of sight.
I stand corrected - it WAS the Sorento kit. I posted without checking my facts.

I initially decided to use a "T" connector with a single valve mounted in the vicinity of the trailer hitch - one less hole to drill. Still not commited to that, though.

Did you do the install yourself? In the air, or on the ground?

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:42 am

I used a set of ramps and removed the spare tire. There was plenty of room and access at that point. I had a harder time squeezing the bag between the coils than I thought I would. Otherwise, it's an easy job. The holes at the hitch are the perfect place for the valve. I took a piece of angle iron and made a small mount and found a bolt to fit the hole. Done!

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:44 am

I jacked up my rear with the truck on the ground...can't remember if I pulled my spare off, but I probably did. Although Airlift recommended using the T connection, I kept my bags separate. My primary goal was to improve handling and body roll, and my thinking was that a common air line would just let air shift from side to side in the corners. I chose to keep each side separate to maintain the pressure in the bag that needs it the most in a corner.

Overall it was an easy install for the big difference it made...bags took a little trouble to get in, but no big deal. Air lines were a pretty quick run, just make sure to leave enough slack. I've never had a problem with my setup, and I honestly check my pressure only once every couple of months, and I've never had to add any air.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:44 am

So almost two years after installing the Airlift kit the right side airbag is leaking, loses 20 PSI in a day or so.

Looks like it's from the seam in the middle where the two halves join, right where the coil spring was rubbing on it. Pulled it out and Monday I'll call their warranty dept, hopefully no issues on getting it replaced.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sun May 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Thumbs up to Airlift for good warranty replacement - called them on Monday and by Friday I had received a new airbag to replace the leaking one. They said that since most of the time you have to cut the bags to get them out that they don't require you to send the old one back, just pay for shipping ($10) on the new airbag.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:28 pm

LittleStevie wrote:Thumbs up to Airlift for good warranty replacement - called them on Monday and by Friday I had received a new airbag to replace the leaking one. They said that since most of the time you have to cut the bags to get them out that they don't require you to send the old one back, just pay for shipping ($10) on the new airbag.
Did they also send you those little clamps?

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue May 05, 2009 4:30 am

No they didn't, just the airbag. I'm going to try to reuse the existing tubes and clamps...probably not too hard to find at a hardware store if I need to.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 am

LittleStevie wrote:No they didn't, just the airbag. I'm going to try to reuse the existing tubes and clamps...probably not too hard to find at a hardware store if I need to.
I broke a few of mine and couldn't find them anywhere. If you find them, please let me know.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”