Anyone Else Get an Intermittent Rattle Behind Dashboard?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Bouncy

Postby Bouncy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Guys

Our R51 had the annoying dash rattle, only when the air con was on and driving under load. It was the air con pipe vibrating against the bulkhead pipe mounting.

Slight bit of pressure to bend it and no more annoying dash rattles...... :lol: :lol:

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm

i had a rattle some what similar to that but i haven't heard it in quite while. i dont mind the rattle's its a truck

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:32 pm

me&pathy wrote:i dont mind the rattle's its a truck
A $30k++ truck, and rattles are acceptable??

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 pm

SilverGhost wrote:
me&pathy wrote:i dont mind the rattle's its a truck
A $30k++ truck, and rattles are acceptable??

pretty much now if the g was rattling then ya it would be a problem. the pathfinder no it doesn't bug me besides it has held up great to the 100mph + driving and abuse i have put on it.

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:58 am

Bouncy wrote:Hi Guys

Our R51 had the annoying dash rattle, only when the air con was on and driving under load. It was the air con pipe vibrating against the bulkhead pipe mounting.

Slight bit of pressure to bend it and no more annoying dash rattles...... :lol: :lol:
The noise I have sounds as if it's coming from the defrost vents (as someone else pointed out) but may be this...it's summer now and I've only had the Path for a month and a half...when on city streets, certain bumps make the sound occur. I've placed my hand on the dash around the defrost outlets but it sounds as if it's down inside the vents...any ideas? Maybe I should check what is referenced above...where is that located at???

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:53 am

I had a slight rattle from the dash area. Just recently I took my dash off to install a XM radio and now I have no rattles at all. There must have been a loose screw allowing the plastic to rattle.

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Captain caveman wrote:I had a slight rattle from the dash area. Just recently I took my dash off to install a XM radio and now I have no rattles at all. There must have been a loose screw allowing the plastic to rattle.
Well you're lucky! I just really don't want to start taking the dash apart or out to find it if possible...or at least until I'm pretty sure what to do. I'm hoping someone else has had the same and can tell me what they did to fix it...maybe!?!

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:31 pm

Bumping this to see if anyone else has any input. I think I have isolated the noise as toward the right side and it sounds like it's around the defrost vent (but when I put my hand on it, the noise is still there so...it's down inside?).

I noticed that if I'm making a fairly hard curve it will stop...going generally straight, however...bumps = a noise. Any ideas??

Is it easy to remove the defrost vent cover piece to see if I can see something underneath it? Or does this required removing lots of the dash?

As always, thanks.

certz656

Postby certz656 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 am

I just purchased my 08 LE 4X4 V8, drove from S. Carolina to Nevada, I developed the same rattle, right side dash defrost vent area, sounds like tapping on lower portion of windshield at anything over 60mph. Maybe weather related, seemed to be at its loudest during colder, wet/snow conditions, but it does rattle in dry condition, though not always. Thinking it may have to do with auto climate control switching back and forth to defrost mode. Dealer to look into it in a couple of weeks, hope they find it.

certz656

Postby certz656 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:27 pm

An update on dash rattle. I did some tapping around on the plastic cowl cover under the wipers, and I noticed that the corner piece on the right side would make the same tapping noise when tapped on, so I placed a small sqaure of adhesive backed velcro under the corner piece as a cushion against the windshield and so far the noise has not reared its ugly head at any speed. Hope thats the end of that rattle, now to locate the low speed sqeaking coming somewhere from the right front.

radudel

Postby radudel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 am

Have you tried the radio? Maybe you should turn it on a little bit more louder? :lol: :lol: :lol:

certz656

Postby certz656 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:01 pm

I found the solution for the sqeaking noise coming from the front. I reclled that I had the same noise on my 06 XTerra, it was coming from the hood latch, I had to wrap the latch hook on the hood with a strip of black electrical tape. The noise disappeared, I did the same on the Pathfinder, and same results, no more sqeaking. I really like my new Pathfinder, I just hate rattles and sqeaks, and it drives me nuts till I find them and eliminate them, and turning up the stereo doesn't help, I still know its there, didn't work for my wife, didn't work for my Pathfinder 8)

kramer

Postby kramer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:01 pm

I have an occasional rattle from around the front defrost vents and it goes away if I adjust the temp dial a little warmer or cooler. Not sure what it is, but obviously has something to do with the blower or whatever.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”