2007 SE offroad...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mtbnole

2007 SE offroad...

Postby mtbnole » Fri May 30, 2008 10:30 am

I am looking to buy an 07 se offroad, anyone have an offroad and is it worth the premium over a regular se? I can get a used 07 LE 4x4 for just a little more. Any comments help.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: 2007 SE offroad...

Postby NVSteve » Fri May 30, 2008 11:02 am

mtbnole wrote:I am looking to buy an 07 se offroad, anyone have an offroad and is it worth the premium over a regular se? I can get a used 07 LE 4x4 for just a little more. Any comments help.
I responded to your other post. As to gas, I've been using 88-89 in mine. I tried a couple of tanks running premium, but didn't see an increase/advantage with it, so I'm sticking to the mid grade stuff.

mtbnole

Postby mtbnole » Fri May 30, 2008 11:05 am

I responded to your other post. As to gas, I've been using 88-89 in mine. I tried a couple of tanks running premium, but didn't see an increase/advantage with it, so I'm sticking to the mid grade stuff.[/quote]

I was talking about the cost increase of an offroad model instead of a plain se, thanks for the response though.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Fri May 30, 2008 12:04 pm

If you actually go off road , then it would be worth it ... but if you only do the occasional drive in the snow , or drive down a dirt road , then the LE may be the better option !

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri May 30, 2008 1:30 pm

The skidplates are available for cheap from Nissan. I think the Off-Road handles better even on-road with its stiffer setup. I like this but my wife didn't. The thing I think I'd really like is the hill descent. Not as much for the downhill control, but to keep from rolling back uphill while off-road. The torque converter is real loose around idle and it will roll back quite a bit when you take your foot off the brake(I'm not a two footer).

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri May 30, 2008 2:35 pm

mtbnole wrote: I was talking about the cost increase of an offroad model instead of a plain se, thanks for the response though.
Whoops, guess I should have read your original post a bit closer. One other difference between the OR and LE: interior. Either leather on the LE, or cloth on the SE. I'm not a fan of leather, but a bigger reason is that the front passenger seat folds down on the OR. Can't do that on the LE. It's amazing how many damned projects I have going on that require stops at Home Depot or Lowes on a weekly basis. I don't like (or trust) having a heavy load of lumber on top, so the folding seat has really been a life saver when hauling home 8'+ lumber.

Either way you go, you should be able to get the price down. Seems like everyone is really struggling to move anything larger than sedans off the lots.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Coming from the LE camp, I'd say check out the OR model and pay attention to the items already mentioned and my 2 cents. I'm contemplating getting some sort of seat cushion deal with increased airflow between myself and the seat. The leather is perforated but I tend to get hot and can sweat. But I am a hot blooded type anyways so YMMV. The hill start option would be nice but I've always two-footed it or heel-toe'd it when necessary. The fold down pax seat would be a nice option also. But I've gotten around it by using my cargo basket or the stock roof rails for loads (or a trailer). I would be interested to see how the front seat folds down and it's accessibility from the rear. In an LE the 3rd and 2nd rows fold flat, but the 2nd row the seat bottoms flip up then the seat backs fold down, so you will only ever get about 6' 6" worth of length from rear to front. That is something to think about. And to get the 2nd row to fold you need to slide the front seats up a bit. Not far but they can't be all the way back.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri May 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Just my opinion and depending on how long you plan on keeping the truck, how you want to use it, and how you plan on selling it after use the OR may have a higher resale or trade in value. If the OR had been available in Canada that's the model I would have bought.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Fri May 30, 2008 6:38 pm

I have the folding front passanger seat and I realy like it. I was told that the LE does not do this because of the leather. I truly do not think the OR-Se is worth it unless you can not two foot the pedals like a real 4x4'er. If you can drive stick you can two foot any auto when 4wheeling.
The only realy nice thing about the OR-Se is the shocks and better tires

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri May 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Captain caveman wrote: The only realy nice thing about the OR-Se is the shocks and better tires
I like the lower differential gear ratio in the OR's as well.

PFhopefull

Postby PFhopefull » Sat May 31, 2008 5:51 am

Does the lower ratio help towing at all or just low end torque? I have beetn pondering the same thing about the SE or OR , I would be doing quite a bit of boat towing and wonder if I would be better of with an SE.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 am

PFhopefull wrote:Does the lower ratio help towing at all or just low end torque?
Depends on what you mean by "help". But helping low end torque would help towing. It should let you get going easier and keep speed in hills *better* but the ratio's we're talking about here aren't amazing. 3.133 vs 3.357 for the OR. 0.224 difference in ratio. To me definitely not any kind of deal maker or breaker because you'd never notice a difference if you were utilizing the vehicle within it's standard operating limits. And if you were going to go outside of its operating limits those gear ratios would be one of the first things tossed out the window for more favorable higher ones. Both of those gears sets are considered in the "fuel economy" range. At any rate, depending on all your towing factors, you should be out of OD and in 4th with a 1:1 ratio on the trans when towing. Couple that with the 6k towing limit (5k w/o weight distro) and OR vs All Others wouldn't make a real difference in gear ratios.

You will also get a lower (higher numerically) gear ratio in the Transfer Case of all the models except the LE. 2.625 vs the LE's 2.596, 0.029 difference. But again, that margin isn't significant at all and should never come into play unless you are hardcore.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sat May 31, 2008 9:26 am

Both the 2006 and 2008 FSM state that all 4WDs have 3.357 gears. 2WD's are shown to have the 3.133 gears. Perhaps when they still made the 2WD Off-Road, they gave them the lower gears of the 4WD? I dunno. The 2006 FSM is in the sticky at the top of the R51 forum.

mtbnole

Postby mtbnole » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:19 am

so the offroad does or does not have a different gear ratio than the other 4x4s? I don't absolutly need a 4x4 but i may be moving in the next year and would be helpful and fun to have it when that happens.

Thanks for all the responses.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 am

mtbnole wrote:so the offroad does or does not have a different gear ratio than the other 4x4s?
I was bored so I looked at what 08 said and he's spot on, the only difference in rear axle ratio's are 2wd vs 4wd. It doesn't matter what model. But there is a difference in the transfer case's as I noted. The ATX14B has the 2.596 low gear vs the TX15B has a 2.625 low gear.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”