Wimpy horn - any replacement thoughts?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jspitz

Wimpy horn - any replacement thoughts?

Postby jspitz » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:07 am

Has anyone replaced the stock horns on their R51 Pathfinder yet? The horns on my '06 sound like they are from a Miata - not loud enough at 70 MPH on the freeway, and not gruff enough to get my point across to the dolts I seem to come across with increasing frequency. I think I read somewhere that the '05s only had a single horn, and are even less annoying!

As tempting as they may be, I don't want to bother with air horns. I'm thinking more along the lines of Hella Supertones, Compact Trumpets, or even some good old 1970's GM stuff. See http://www.rallylights.com/hella/horns.asp to get the idea.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy :?:

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:56 am

You're right on with the 70's GM stuff. I took triple factory horns off of a '75 Caddy for my Wagoneer. My buddy got some triple factory horns off a similar 70's Lincoln. There were maybe $2-3 apiece at the wrecking yard. I still have the dual horns from the Waggie, but will probably hold out for some triples as they sound awesome.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:23 am

I know you said you don't want to bother with air, but you could really scare the crap out of people and/or wildlife with one of these:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/truck.htm

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:17 am

One of the loudest electric car horns that I've heard was in a 1991 (91-96 model) Buick Roadmaster, which sounded just like a truck air horn. Haha, my dad used to get particular joy in scaring the bejeezus out of slow moving vehicles driving on the inside lane from several hundred yards away. :)

Thanks for posting the thread, I'm going to see what might be available from the local wreckers.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”