Factory Subwoofer issue

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

JohnKata

Factory Subwoofer issue

Postby JohnKata » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Hello,

I have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - all the goodies except for the DVD entertainment system. Supposedly, the car came with "Nd Richbase" subwoofers which are located on the left side in the rear next to the third row seats.

Whenever I have the stereo on and I put my hand up to them, I don't feel anything coming out. I shined a flashlight in the grill and don't see the cones moving. I went into the Self-Diagnostic system (hitting "SETTINGS" and turning the volume dial) and reset everything, that didn't do anything either.

When I pull up the AVCOMM Diagnostic, it shows everything as fine except for "C Rx(Amp-Audio)". All of the other entries have "OK" while that line just has dashes

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this or if I should just bring it to the dealer. It's still under warranty.

Thank you so much!

Npath

Re: Factory Subwoofer issue

Postby Npath » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Maybe the bass level is set at -5? You didn't mention about checking the level settings. Anyways, if you did check the level and no bass, back to the dealer! :(

JohnKata

Postby JohnKata » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:09 am

I've got the bass level turned all the way up. No dice.

Bringing it to the dealer tomorrow..

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:52 am

I'd be willing to bet a wire is disconnected somewhere. I'm too lazy to look up the specs, but what speakers (brand) do you have in your '08?

JohnKata

Postby JohnKata » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:26 pm

I have the premium stereo, so everything is Bose except for the subwoofers, which the website claims are Nd Richbass.

I took it in to the dealer today (Orland Park Nissan), they had me out in 45 minutes; the mechanic believed the subwoofers were malfunctioning. They ordered a new sub box and will call me in to swap it when it arrives.

I showed the concierge the AVCOMM Diagnosis screen and he showed it to the mechanic (neither of them knew about the nav system's diagnosis mode), and they passed it off.

We'll see what happens after they swap the sub box.

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:42 pm

JohnKata wrote:I took it in to the dealer today (Orland Park Nissan), they had me out in 45 minutes; the mechanic believed the subwoofers were malfunctioning. They ordered a new sub box and will call me in to swap it when it arrives.
Geezus! new from the factory and the subs aren't working?!

I thought they'd at least do a quick test to make sure everything works before leaving the factory.

Hopefully it's just a disconnected wire in the box then, that way you'll be outta the lot faster.

I recall my subwoofer quit on me one time after pushing it hard. It turned out the wires attached to the cone were touching. So, electricity always takes the shortest path and it wasn't through the cone.

JohnKata

Postby JohnKata » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:28 am

Yeah, it's pretty odd. I've had the car 7 months now and I can always recall the bass performance being exactly what it is now, (so can my usual passengers), so I believe they never worked. I could be completely wrong though.

I still think it's weird about that amplifier line in the AVCOMM Diagnostic screen. Can anyone with the Bose stereo (with working subwoofers) see if they have a line in the diagnostic similar to mine, or if it shows "OK" for them? (see the picture in the original post)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm

JohnKata wrote:Yeah, it's pretty odd. I've had the car 7 months now and I can always recall the bass performance being exactly what it is now, (so can my usual passengers), so I believe they never worked. I could be completely wrong though.
It probably has never worked then. I can tell immediately that my Bose OEM pseudo-sub is working every time I get in and start it up-it thumps well enough for a factory setup.

Have you looked in the service manual? It may be easier & quicker for you to check the connections on the sub yourself, rather than going through the dealership pain. That way you could at least see if it is getting any power, isn't connected, etc.

JohnKata

Postby JohnKata » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:38 pm

Yeah, that was the first thing I did (even before making my thread). I figured I would just leave everything though, since the car is still under warranty.

Like I said earlier, the dealer thinks the sub box had a malfunction so they ordered a new one. We'll see what happens after they swap the subs. I'm betting it's the amplifier.

I'm still curious though regarding that AVCOMM line. Can someone check theirs and report back?

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:18 pm

I can check it. Can you tell me how to get to that diagnostic display? I'm not familiar with it.

JohnKata

Postby JohnKata » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks AZ_Path!

First, turn your stereo off.

Then, push and hold the Settings button. Turn the volume knob in either direction until you see a screen that says "Self-Diagnosis" and "Confirmation/Adjustment" - release the Settings button.

Scroll down until you see the "AVCOMM Diagnosis" line and hit Enter.

You should see a screen similar to mine (in the first post). I'm interested in the "C Rx(Amp-Audio)" line - do you see "OK" or do you see a dash?
Also, do you have the DVD entertainment system?

Thanks again! It's much appreciated.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:30 pm

C-Rx is OK. Sounds like there is something wrong with the connection. You'll know when the sub is on. It has decent kick for a stock system. To bad your service dept. doesn't know to use the diagnostic menu. It looks pretty useful. How did you find it? The manual of all places? :) I don't have the DVD entertainment system which is probably why you have so many more signals than I do.

Also, I tried the speaker self test and it doesn't test the sub. Not sure if you tried that and were wondering.

You could call Nissan corporate and see if a technical resource can tell you the meaning behind the diagnostic info.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 pm

is there a fuse for the sub? the after market sub in my matrix stop because of a blown fuse. try checking the fuse

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”