replacing exahust manifold studs

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

only_oneA

replacing exahust manifold studs

Postby only_oneA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:19 am

so i am in the process of replacing the studs. luckily i only have two broken on each side. so i am just looking for some incite on this subject. now i already have the manifolds unbolted from the heads. but i have not removed the manifolds from off the rest of the exhaust system. so my question is where do i remove the manifolds of from? and will the manifolds come right out from above? im sure this topic has already been discussed more then a couple of times. so if any one can just redirect me that would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. oh yeah i just bought the 95 pathfinder for 700 bucks, has about 175k. its 4x4 5spd i already replaced timing belt water pump and thermostat.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:47 am

Nissan recommends you replace the studs on the ends, the one in the center plus any that are broken. The new studs are harder than the original ones. The right side is the easier of the two. Use a large prybar to pull the front pipe toward the fender enough so the manifold will clear the studs on the head and pull the manifold up through the top. The left side I'm not so sure about as it's been a long time and I've done a lot more right sides than lefts.

only_oneA

Postby only_oneA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:38 pm

yeah i figured screw it ill just replace them all. i am after all keeping it and think it should last me quite some time. so then do i unbolt the manifolds from the exhaust pipe closest to the manifolds? so nothing but the bare manifold comes out?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Yup, that's it. You might want to get new flange gaskets and nuts for the front pipes. You should also get new nuts and, if any are missing, new washers for the exhaust studs. Remember that the flat side of the washer goes toward the nut. The hard part is drilling out the studs. Some come out easy and some don't. Center punch and drill as close to the center of the broken stud as possible. Reverse cobalt drill bits work best.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”