Spark plugs for 1991 SE

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Johnny Haywire

Spark plugs for 1991 SE

Postby Johnny Haywire » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Howdy amigos,

Just a quick question about spark plugs for a '91 SE with the VG30E.

All three of my manuals say to use NGK BKR6EY. That appears to be a v-groove electrode plug, while the NGK site also recommends the BKR6ES, which is a flat electrode plug. Was the v-groove plug OEM spec on these engines?

http://www.ngk.com/category.aspx?zcid=304

Anyone have any preference between the two of these? I'm kind of traditional and tend to use flat electrode plugs on older cars but I'm open to trying something new (for me ; ).

Thanks in advance for any input.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm

The NGK V-power plug (BKR6EY) was the original equipment plug for your truck and supposedly has better ignitability over the standard copper core NGK plugs. There isn't much difference in price and I doubt you'll notice any difference in performance between the two, but I would stick with the BKR6EY's if you are going to stay with a standard copper core plug. If you want to increase your service interval, which is not a bad idea due to the pain in the butt #6 plug, you could upgrade to the 60000 mile NGK G-platinum or Iridium-IX, or the 105,000 mile Laser platinum plugs, but they do cost quite a bit more.

Johnny Haywire

Postby Johnny Haywire » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks for getting back on that, SMJ. I will definitely go with the OEM (BKR6EY) as it'll take me about 5 or 6 years to put 20K on this baby. She's got 276K on the clock, so just trying to keep her happy and not change too many variables.

I've had some real stinkers in the past with driver's side rear plugs on longitudinal V engines, so this will be interesting for me. I've seen a lot of posts about how tough it is. Fortunately, I do have the factory plug wrench in the tool kit and a decent set of ratchets, extensions, swivels, etc.

I will definitely report back on how it goes!

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”