Giddy up?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

headsup

Giddy up?

Postby headsup » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:18 pm

second post in as many days.

1991 Pathfinder SE, 197,000 KMs, well maintained.
Seems to hesitate upon acceleration at times. (feels like a misfire-then jumps to the call of the gas pedal)

Mechanic said recycle the key a couple times to kick the fuel pump a bit.

thought i would ask here.

Fuel pump diagnostic? Any other ideas?
Thanks again in advance.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:42 pm

The only thing cycling the key will do is build up the fuel pressure to start the vehicle, if the fuel pump is indeed weak. My suggestion would be to have the fuel pressure checked to see if it's within factory specs. If the pressure is too low, then you likely have a bad fuel pump and it should be replaced (I recommend sticking with a genuine Nissan fuel pump).
That said, hesitation could be caused by any of a number of things. VG mulit-port injection engines have had issues with dirty or bad fuel injectors; Nissan recommends a professional fuel injection cleaning service, like those offered by 3M or BG products.
Hesitation can also be caused by ignition related problems, from bad spark plug wires, improper type plugs, bad cap and rotor, ignition coil failure or a bad distributor. Lean condition caused by a restrictive fuel filter or air leaks, a bad O2 sensor or dirty MAS can also come into play.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”