Possible Blown Head Gasket?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

carbonatd

Possible Blown Head Gasket?

Postby carbonatd » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi guys. I've owned a 1991 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 SE since 2004. I picked it up for $500 with about 120,000 miles on it. It has 162,000 on it now, and it was running great until I let my sister barrow it.

I'll admit it's my fault for not changing the coolant more promptly, and she recently drove it 120 miles. It overheated a few times, and then eventually would not start.

I would imagine this is a head gasket failure? Since she was unable to start it, she had it towed to her place in Wisconsin. I'm in IL, and I have not had a chance to go and check it out.

I have seen head gasket failures cause white smoke, but is that why it isn't starting? Or is it because the heads are warped? She claims it only over heated three times...

Either way, I am going to examine it this weekend. Thanks for any input.

Scaramoche

heads

Postby Scaramoche » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Ya, it sound like you may have a head issue, but more importatly you have another issue if it keeps overheating. Over heating will trash your heads(i know, ive had to rebuild my motor, and it was deffinatly a learning experience). Unfortunatly you not only need to pull your heads and have them rebuilt, and machined, but also find out why you are overheating. Also if you do your heads, you have to purchase new headbolts.

Scara

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”