1995 nissan pathfinder HELP

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

brown91490

1995 nissan pathfinder HELP

Postby brown91490 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:54 pm

i have a 1995 nissan pathfinder manual tranny, there is something wrong and i cant figure out exactly what, the engine starts, but when you go to shift gears nothing, it doesnt even make a noise, you can move the shift lever in and out of every single gear 1-5 and R, and same, no noise, no movement, iv had people tell me its the pressure plate, its the clutch, its the tranny, just about everything, i just want someone who knows what they'r talking about to help me out. thanks for reading and appreciate help,

jtrich

Postby jtrich » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:09 am

Is it 4 wheel drive? Your transfer case may be in neutral.
James

brown91490

Postby brown91490 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 am

yes it is 4wd and we were able to go from 4H-4L and nothing

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Have you checked the linkage? Can you feel any resistance? I know it's frustrating to have an internet mechanic try to analyze your problems, but the best the you can do is crawl under the truck to see if anything is obviously broken. I don't know what you mean by no noise, no grinding? It just sounds like you are in neutral and it's not actually shifting, which is why I'm thinking your linkage is disconnected either at the shifter or the tranny. Hope this helps.

brown91490

Postby brown91490 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 pm

yea there is no grinding sry to be as unhelpful as possible, but will give the linkage a look in the AM, thanks

Scaramoche

troubleshooting

Postby Scaramoche » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:21 pm

by the sounds of it there is something going on with the clutch.

first go underneath and with the vehical off, have somone push the clutch in. you will see a cable that connects to the bellhousing, ie the area where the transmission connects to the engine. while they are pumping it you will see at the joining the movement. also look for anything unusual, ie loose cables, oil leaks etc.

second. if everything looks "normal", then unfortunatly you will have to drop tranny.

the problem can be as simple as the "throw out bearing" or clutch/clutch assembly, to something internal in the tranny.

If the clutch hasnt been replaced for a while this is a good oppurtunity to do it anyways.

either way the way a stick"manual" tranny works is like this.
while the clutch is not pressed, ie "out" the clutch plate is in contact with the engine. This is why when you turn it over without pushing the clutch in it lurches.
When you push the clutch in, it disingauges the plate from the enginer via a spring and bearing.
so in a nuttshell it sound as if your clutch isnt "engauging", ie the spring, or bearing are trashed(could be other things as well).

While the clutch is spinning ie in contact with the engine it spins the internal gears of the tranny. Know there could be an issue in here, but the only real way to "troubleshoot" the tranny is to have it dropped, and manualy turn it.(or actually take apart tranny, but this is a hasle, plus you would ahve to replace gaskets).

I'm not sure how difficult dropping the tranny is on a pathy(last time i did it, i was rebuilding the engine, so pulled it through the engine compartment). but from other experiences dropping tranny's you need a couple special tools, first is jackstands, and good jacks, socket set, with alot of extensions(top tranny bolts)), a transmission jack. There may be some misc crossmembers etc. it sound horrible, but mostly if you have the correct tools, it's not the difficult. if this is daunting i would take it to a mechanic.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”