95 Pathfinder couple of Questions

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Fireguy

95 Pathfinder couple of Questions

Postby Fireguy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:36 am

Hi all new at this forum. I just picked up a 95 Pathfinder. 3.0L 5 speed 4X4.
it has automatic hubs.

On the road 80kph it's turning about 2200 RPM. Hwy speeds it's turn closer to or over 3000 RPM (100-120 Kph) it's really working at 120 or over.

I did a test with the 4X4. I know it works thanks at very muddy driveway. at 80 Kph it turns the same RPM in 4H or 2H.

I was wondering if that is normal or are the auto hubs possibly not unlocking?

would that account for the high RPM on the Hwy?

Thanks

95TerranoWA

Postby 95TerranoWA » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:28 pm

It's a combination of gearing and the tires. The gearing on the 5spd isn't all that great for HWY because it's very short gearing (I think that's the term..or am I thinking of the other way around?) Anyway, the tires are pretty big for a vehicle this size, and thus with the combination, the RPM's are kinda high. Mine sounds about the same, at 65MPH I'm almost reaching 3,000 RPM.

So I would pretty much tell you no, the hubs wouldn't have anything to do with it.

winter_sled

Postby winter_sled » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:54 pm

and the ridiculous gearing is part of the reason for the sh!tty gas mileage

velvetsanity

Postby velvetsanity » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:21 am

The gearing doesn't change between 2H and 4H, the only difference is whether power is being applied to the front wheels. 4L is the only one that changes the gearing between the transmission and the wheels.

Pathys *are* geared pretty low, but that's because Nissan didn't design them for highway cruising, they designed them for (fairly light to moderate) trail bruising.

If you want lower RPMs on the highway, change the gearing in the differential to a numerically lower ratio. If you do that, though, I'd recommend keeping it *on* the pavement.

noroad95

rpm's....

Postby noroad95 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:10 am

I have a 95 4x4 XE and it runs just under 3000rpm's at around 65mph like you were saying. I've only had it for a couple weeks and I feel like I'm ragging on it when I run it at 70mph. Is it hard on the engine to be running it at these hiway speeds. I feel like as long as I change the oil every 3 thousand miles and keep up with the maintainance it should be alright. At the same time if its better for the engine to keep it under 3k rpms on the hiway I will do it. I appreciate any advice you can give me on the 95 xe's, I just want to keep it in solid shape.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”