Radio Install on 1991

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Joliet Johnny

Radio Install on 1991

Postby Joliet Johnny » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 pm

I purchased my 91 3 months ago and it only had 1 working speaker(LF). The weather is nice so I decided to fix it today. I believe I have a factory amp(based on a google search), and there are holes in the doors where I would guess tweeters would go. Ive searched all over the internet trying to find a wiring diagram and I keep getting nothing. I find them for 95 and up or completely the wrong car. All Im asking for is how to make the FR door speker work. Im going to run new wires to the rear(I have no will to run new wires into the doors) The previous owner had unpluged the amp, cut and twisted most of the wires together, added wires(by that I mean lengthened with wrong colors but can trace originals), and made a 1 foot spaghetti mess. He also hooked up the LF properly and power/ground. I can supply pictures if needed and any help would be like diamond encrusted gold to me.

Scaramoche

wiring

Postby Scaramoche » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:26 am

Cheers,

First thing i would do is identify, and mark all the wires comming out of the radio, to the wiring harness.
ie
power
remote
front speakers
rears speakers
and any other alternate wires.

may take a few minutes, and even some google for the wiring diagram(if not marked)

then trace every wire. The problem with most speaker rewiring jobs is people get lazy, or have no idea what they are doing, this is a good time to correct this. it may be a pain, but there is no easy way to do it.

also they may have crossed wires, cut wires, or lack of wires.

as a note you should not have to wire the doors if they currently exsist, just trace the path until the meat up the the wire you have identified in the wiring harness.

a very easy way to do this is with a electronic mulit-meter(10-20 dollars at radio shack or autostore), set it to ohms, and using a long piece of wire conect one end to the unknown wire, and use the probe of the other connecter to test each wire in the wiring harness. the display should be around 0 ohms, or very very low. it you see a value like xxx Kohms, or Mohms, then you are not on the right wire.

some testers have a buzzer under ohms for "continuety"

Joliet Johnny

Postby Joliet Johnny » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention I found a wiring diagram and I have located the constant power, ignition power, and I didnt snip the FL speaker wire cause it worked (but I did take out the extra colors). My biggest annoyance is either that Im not finding the proper wiring diagram or Nissan put the wrong color wires in. Upon further googling I found out I do have the factory amp, which could make a difference?. I cant figure out why the previous owner cut the wires cause the Nissan wiring adapter is in place. I also discovered a trick to figure out which wire goes to what speaker using a 1.5 volt battery and listening for a pop. I will try to take a picture before I leave for work. Also could someone tell me why it is so hard to google a 1991 Pathfinder?

94pathdestroyer

Postby 94pathdestroyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 am

Joliet Johnny

Postby Joliet Johnny » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Well I had another day off with nice weather. Ive got the front speakers working now, turns out the RF wasnt working well (sounded like headphones on a desk). So I put in new speakers. The strange part of this fix was 2 black wires and 2 black with white stripe, and none of my wires matched the diagrams I found online? Also I have the remains of an antenna on my fender but one in the windshield too. Did Nissan have a strange looking connector for it? I found a coax with 2 wires and 2 posts. Also I never figured out if there was a different wiring diagram for a Pathfinder with the factory amp. Im going to buy the factory service manual next week to help me with future fixes. My next project will be to install a remote start/key-less entry and I will try to take alot of pics and post a how to guide. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”