Torsion bars

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

digdug002000

Torsion bars

Postby digdug002000 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:54 am

Okay I have a 1987 Pathfinder. Need to install a clutch kit and replace tranny. Don't know anything about the torsion bars. Stopped at a transmission shop to get a price quote, but guy only works on automatics so he was not really any help. Anyhow, he told me horror stories about the torsion bars. Said you have to mark the splines and put them back in exactly how they were taken out. That didn't make much sense to me. Anyone have any advice? How easy/ or difficult is it to remove and install the torsion bars?

Jettmutt

Postby Jettmutt » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 am

To replace the tranny? Makes no sense at all.
A service manual would address how to replace torsion bars with proper (if needed) preload.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 am

Just put a mark on the torsion bar and bracket before you remove them so you can put them back in the same spot. The tension you put on them adjusts the ride height so you can really set them where you want. More tension = stiffer ride and increase ride height and less tension would be the opposite. You will need to get an alignment after your done because any difference in ride height affects the alignment.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”