94 lift, track bar (panhard rod) and trailing arm question

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

ringgoldpathfinder

94 lift, track bar (panhard rod) and trailing arm question

Postby ringgoldpathfinder » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 pm

I've got a 94 pathfinder that I'm wanting to lift and I have some 33/12.50/15 all terrain tires that I'm going to put on the stock wheels. I bought some jeep springs to lift the rear and my mechanic said that I should look into dropping the rear track bar (panhard rod) and extending the trailing arms or the axle would be shifted over and it wouldn't drive right. I went to a local custom shop to see about getting some adjustable arms made and the guy went all crazy saying how bad the pathfinders do when you lift them and how they never turn out right. He even said that their shop refuses to lift them. He said I should just do a body lift since I have step bars to cover up the frame somewhat and I only want 33's. What is your take on this? My truck is my daily driver and I'm not really big into going off road. My truck has done everything I've wanted it do stock I just want to put my 33's on it now. Does doing a suspension lift on these really affect the drivability of them much? I was also wondering if I cranked the torsion bars to lift the front and took it to an alignment shop would I still need to buy different A-arms? If so I was thinking about the ones from automotive customizers. So would you go body lift or suspension lift? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Where I live I don't even think I've ever seen a lifted pathfinder and everyone is all about toyotas so finding someone knowledgeble is very difficult. Thanks

Also, does anyone have experience using 4.5 inch lift wrangler springs from rough country? That's what I bought and I figured since I already have to cut the pig tail part I could just cut off a coil if they lift it too much.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 am

You'll be fine lifting it, that "guy at the shop" is a whack job. I've had mine lifted for probably 5-6 years now and it is fine. It drives fine as well, I wouldn't worry about longer trailing arms, but might suggest getting a panhard rod drop bracket, without it your axle will shift a bit to the pass side. That being said I still have yet to get one and I've been fine, I don't notice any axle shift. If you decide to go with new A arms I would suggest calmini or rough country, the AC arms don't correct for the ball joint angle after lifting. If your putting on 33's check your centerlink also, they are a known weak point in the front steering, you can get a beffed up one at grassroots4x4. Finally you might have to do a litttle trimming in the fender well to get the 33's to not rub at full flex, a general rule is 3+3=33's, or 3" susp lift + 3" body lift = 33's easy fit.

ringgoldpathfinder

Postby ringgoldpathfinder » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Well I ended up just going with a 3 inch bodylift from AC. It clears the tires really good with just that. The only thing it rubs is the mud flaps and that's only in sharp turns. I really would like to add in a suspension lift in the future and run 35/12.50/15 if I can do something about my gearing first. With only having 33s on it you can tell a huge difference from when I had my stock 31s. So did you change your gearing?

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”