first pathfinder, worth buying?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

anteru

first pathfinder, worth buying?

Postby anteru » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:03 pm

first off id like to say hi to the forums! new user here..

i found this 93 pathfinder and i had a 30 pt inspection. here is a list of what they found

valve cover gaskets leak slightly
driver's door wont open from inside handle
cruise control not working
power locks not working
rear right door wont open from outside
key wont lock or unlock driver's door

he said the transmission was slightly discolored, (needs flush) but no odor or metal shavings in it. it still has the stock transmission cooler in it and the timing belt was changed at 100,000. it is currently at 145000.

are these things that can be easily fixed? the doors and the valve cover gasket are the only things that really worry me.

any pointers on fixing these too would be much appreciated.

really excited to buy this rig...

ringgoldpathfinder

Postby ringgoldpathfinder » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:29 am

It really just depends on the price and your willingness to fix a lot of little problem areas. My experience with this sort of thing is you buy it with the intention of fixing everything and saving money by doing so, but then you end up never really fixing anything because it still runs and drives just fine and for the entire time you own the vehicle you are plagued by tiny aggravating problems. That's just my opinion though.

nesok

Postby nesok » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:03 pm

The first thing that should be done is to put in a bigger tranny cooler ($30ish bucks for a Hayden). The stock coolers are notoriously too small which overheats the transmission, effectively killing it. And they're a nightmare to rebuild.

Not to revive a dead topic, but this info everyone should be able to find.

anteru

Postby anteru » Mon May 07, 2012 4:58 pm

well i bought it, and i am very pleased with it so far.

in case anyone is wondering, the valve cover gaskets were just loose, tightened them down and no leaks since!

the door handles not opening were easy, just fixed the rods and everything is dandy.

after some wd-40 the key works in the driver's door again.

still no power locks but i need the lock timer for that. has not been an issue for me yet.

i also have had the timing belt replaced, the timing belt (was not changed ever, actually fell apart when the mechanic took it off) tensioner and the water pump done. transmission completely flushed, new exhaust gaskets in various places, and the lower ball joints replaced.

mostly now its cosmetic stuff... but i have already put 5000 miles on it and it runs like a champ!

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”