1987 VG30I Value and Throwout Bearing Issues

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

MissMy89Sentra

1987 VG30I Value and Throwout Bearing Issues

Postby MissMy89Sentra » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey everyone....I just had the opportunity to test drive an '87 Pathfinder for one day and I think I might be in love. Some issues though......

First of all some background on the vehicle........1987, 4x4, VG30I engine, 5-speed, 120,000 miles, interior great shape (not even a crack on the dash or a tear in the seats), all interior electrical works (switches, windows, cruise, etc.), AC blows cold, mechanically sound except for the fact that it is due for a timing belt replacement and one more thing.............the throwout bearing is squeeling intermittantly (mostly while cold). The left side also has some body damage due to him putting it on its side (door, front and rear fender crinkles etc.)

I perform all my own work on my vehicles and the labor involved in changing it out will be no problem for me (especially since I have a lift to use at work :lol: ).

I cannot talk him down less than $500...........

Do you guys think that $500 is resonable for a low mileage '87 with some body damage and a throwout bearing issue?

How long can I expect my bearing to last going easy on it (neutral coasting to lights and neutral at lights)?

Also he says that I should do my water pump when I do the timing belt. Can you do the water pump without removing the timing belt on this engine?

I am new to this motor but not Nissans......had an '89 Nissan Sentra and it was absolutely the BEST little ricer car I ever had! That thing was so good off road with the higher than most ricer's ground clearance and the short wheelbase.

I really like the way this Pathfinder drives (comfy) and I would appreciate any input you all may have!

On my day test drive, I got about 16 MPG mixed freeway, city, and some 4x4...........sound about right?

THANX!

MissMy89Sentra

Postby MissMy89Sentra » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 pm

ANYBODY.........................PLEASE!?!?!?!?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:58 am

welcome to the forums.

sorry cant really help with your question, but i'm sure someone on here will have a response.

just give it a bit of time, not everyone signs in here daily :wink:

Melbo

Postby Melbo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Let me know where it is and I will buy it :lol:

I am studying one right now for about three or four times that

Debating if I should try and bend the frame back on mine or get another

They are good runners but do need their maintenance

Melbo

stangkilla1

Re: 1987 VG30I Value and Throwout Bearing Issues

Postby stangkilla1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:24 pm

[quote="MissMy89Sentra"]Hey everyone....I just had the opportunity to test drive an '87 Pathfinder for one day and I think I might be in love. Some issues though......

First of all some background on the vehicle........1987, 4x4, VG30I engine, 5-speed, 120,000 miles, interior great shape (not even a crack on the dash or a tear in the seats), all interior electrical works (switches, windows, cruise, etc.), AC blows cold, mechanically sound except for the fact that it is due for a timing belt replacement and one more thing.............the throwout bearing is squeeling intermittantly (mostly while cold). The left side also has some body damage due to him putting it on its side (door, front and rear fender crinkles etc.)

I perform all my own work on my vehicles and the labor involved in changing it out will be no problem for me (especially since I have a lift to use at work :lol: ).

I cannot talk him down less than $500...........

Do you guys think that $500 is resonable for a low mileage '87 with some body damage and a throwout bearing issue?

How long can I expect my bearing to last going easy on it (neutral coasting to lights and neutral at lights)?

Also he says that I should do my water pump when I do the timing belt. Can you do the water pump without removing the timing belt on this engine?

I am new to this motor but not Nissans......had an '89 Nissan Sentra and it was absolutely the BEST little ricer car I ever had! That thing was so good off road with the higher than most ricer's ground clearance and the short wheelbase.

I really like the way this Pathfinder drives (comfy) and I would appreciate any input you all may have!

On my day test drive, I got about 16 MPG mixed freeway, city, and some 4x4...........sound about right?

THANX![/quote]500 for a 4x4 that works is great i just got one for 3x that and it needs lots of work so it all depends on can u do the work do u love the truck enough to do the maintenance and money if all it needs is timing belt water pump and throw out bearing ur lucky. timing belt must be removed for waterpump install so do it while there do the hoses and check the temp control sensor wiring harness!(rite behind the driverside cam sheild by the host of small hosesvg30) if u do the work rote she will last forever!15 mpg is avg. so 16 sounds about rite! runs good eh?also id do the clutch if u are needing the throw out bearingthat bearing goes and the vibration is directed at the clutch plate so be careful on how long u what to do it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Hard to say without seeing it in person, but $500 sounds like a great price! Make sure to check the frame rails for rot, especially in the area behind the front wheels where the strut rod bracket is welded to the chassis. The timing belt is fairly easy on this model; removing the radiator is the best way to do it. I've been using Gates Timing Belt Componant Kits w/ Water Pump from Rockauto.com, lately. They are priced low but have quality componants with instructions. It'll give you the timing belt, tensioner pulley and a new water pump. I also recommend replacing the front crank and cam seals (I prefer genuine Nissan) and check the welsch plug under the right bank cam seal for signs of coolant seapage. If it is, you'll need a 17mm allen socket to remove it. Clean the threads and apply a thin layer of RTV sealant to them. Reinstall the plug and torque to 50 ft./lbs. It's also a good time to replace the thermostat and drive belts (I prefer genuine Nissan when it comes to these parts as well).
As far as the throwout bearing, or any part, there is no way to tell how long any part will last. If it's noisey, then it's time to replace it. I agree that the clutch assy. (including the pilot bushing) should be replaced at the same time. Nissan used to offer (they may still do) a "Key Value" clutch kit that contained the clutch disc, plate, release bearing, pilot pushing and alignment tool for a fair price and made by Valeo, an OEM supplier of clutches and other parts to Nissan. Avoid cheap, aftermarket clutch kits as the pressure plates can be poorly made. With the clutch removed, I also like to remove the flywheel and replace the rear crank seal. Since the rear oil pan lip seal is also prone to oil seapage/leaks, I also clean off the residual oil with brake cleaner and let it dry, then smear a bead of RTV silicone along the back of the oil pan.
16mpg is about right. Keep it tuned up with genuine Nissan or NGK parts. The VG30 engine is not a powerful engine (160hp) nor is it good on gas, but it is a very reliable engine and not too bad to work on, especially the throttle body version. Exhaust studs are a weak point, especially on the right bank. Nissan has since made harder exhaust studs available to replace those that break. Fuel injectors occassionally fail and the hydraulic lifters sometimes go bad and make a tapping noise. Otherwise, they are rock-solid!

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”