MTF questions on a 94

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Honeybadger

MTF questions on a 94

Postby Honeybadger » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:37 pm

So I did a big fluid day (coolant, engine, rear diff, tranny) yesterday, and used castrol hypoy C 80w90 (MT5, synthetic blend) for the tranny and my diffs. The diff is happy again, but my transmission now feels like it came off of a tractor. Very notchy, when it's cold I am almost catching the synchro in second off guard (never had transmission issues before the fluid change)

Did I use too heavy a weight for Seattle driving? The shop ran out of Hypoy C in 80w90, so I had to mix in a quart of valvoline synthetic blend 80w90. Could this be the culprit? Could it be that I used MT5 instead of MT4? Should I really drop the coin on synthetic, and does it make that large of a difference in tranny feel? This is just my truck, not a race car, so I've always used mid grade products with it and just kept on top of maintenance.

The truck has a capacity of 7 quarts (correct?,) but I just used the drainplug, so only 4 were flushed. If I need to get rid of what I put in or change the weight (previous weight/make that I mixed the new stuff in with is unknown) should I just drop the pan and do the filter/gasket while I'm at it? or just do a couple more flushes over this month to get things mostly right?

I don't mind spending a little money to do things right, I just don't want my tranny to implode!

Honeybadger

Postby Honeybadger » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Fixed the problem. I was unaware about the 1.5 quart overfill requirement on 4wd trucks. Just to be safe I drained the castrol and put in 5 quarts of amsoil synthetic GL-4 (nice $78 in oil...) 75w90.

Back to shifting like butter.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”