Newbie with an Engine Issue

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

ryanrf30

Newbie with an Engine Issue

Postby ryanrf30 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:34 pm

I have a friend with a 92 pathy with a 3.0 liter V6. he recently bought this thing and it seems to have a ugly issue, intermittently, the engine spits and sputters and then dramatically loses power. while it is doing this you can leave it over night and it will still do it the next day. he has replaced the fuel pump so many times the threads in the fuel tank plate have worn off! recently he asked me to help, so we put in the new fuel pump, blew out all of the lines with pressurized air, and checked all of the vents. he took it from western colorado to denver and it did it again. had to be towed home. when truck hit the ground it started and ran fine. In denver my friend replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, I have sprayed it with water, no stray sparks. problem is very intermittant, truck ran for 150 miles without so much as a whimper, then bam, dead. Help!!! thanks.

Hanks4b

Postby Hanks4b » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 am

I had a similar problem when my v6 Pathy reached running temp it lost all acceleration.
I relpaced all the usual suspects (and some) and it turned out to be the O2 sensor located half way down the exhaust pipe and has wires running to the engine bay.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Pathfinders usually don't go though fuel pumps. I would do a fuel pressure test before you replace another one. Have you tried checking for stored codes in the ECM?

noe58

Postby noe58 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:46 am

guys
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the cam angle sensor

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”