New guy - I finally got another pathfinder!

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

ChatWithaNinja

New guy - I finally got another pathfinder!

Postby ChatWithaNinja » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 pm

So many years ago, I got a pathfinder. Loved it, but I ended up trading it.

Last night I picked up another!
It's in pretty average shape, but it runs good. dents on all four corners making me think someone exited an illuminated parking lot with a blindfold on.
1994, auto, 2wd, pewter w/grey leather, XE, 160K. Paid $1700 for it. this is the first of two pathfinders. This one will be for the wife. Second one will be for me - 4wd manual!

My first concern:
The locks don't work right when trying to unlock (or lock) the doors with the key. The power locks work fine from the inside. Did they come with a keyless entry option at all? That would be the easiest fix. If it's a common problem for the door lock to spin freely when trying to unlock it, let me know... Yes, the whole key mechanism just turns with the key...

Second concern:
It has no stereo! The seller gave me a new pioneer single DIN unit, but no adapter plugs. Anyone know where I can get an adapter plug for the stereo? I could then splice the outgoing wires from the stereo to the plug, then plug right into the existing wiring. that would be convenient.

I'll put up some pictures tonight.

ChatWithaNinja

Postby ChatWithaNinja » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:53 am

Pictures as promised:

Melbo

Postby Melbo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Nice looking -- If I remember correctly the lock is a simple fix once you get inside the door. I think it was a little hard to reach but and easy fix

Sorry can't help with the stereo

Melbo

ChatWithaNinja

Postby ChatWithaNinja » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks Melbo. I'll break inside the door when I get it back.

I dropped the car off at a mechanic friends place and he's going to give me the lowdown on what it will take to make sure its reliable.
He already said that the timing belt needs changing, along with the front belts and hoses. Might as well change the water pump while changing the timing belt...
Accessory belts and hoses are easy enough for me to do, but I think I'm going to give him the timing belt and water pump duties. He owes me a little bit of money anyway. Might as well cash in.

When I get it back, I'm going to start working on the dents with my dent puller.
I've got the service manual now, so I should be able to rig the stereo plug if I cannot find one that matches.

ChatWithaNinja

Postby ChatWithaNinja » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:18 am

Another problem I have and didn't mention is the door lock timer.
Found the solution here:
http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=4840

Got the news back from my mechanic friend and the truck is good!
No engine leaks, no transmission leaks, no brake line leaks, new brakes, new rotor and wires but super old spark plugs (?), no power steering leaks, rear differential is good, small exhaust leak on the passenger side when cold.

Now the bad: NEEDS a timing belt BADLY. He was surprised the truck made it home! Also he noticed that there was one pulley on the front of the engine that didn't have the nut on the front holding it on! It was kinda wonky and holding on by the bolt threads. Phew!

I'm just going to keep updating this thread with the progress.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”