need help with broken compression rod

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Gheildon

need help with broken compression rod

Postby Gheildon » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:46 am

hey guys got a problem I'm hoping you'll can help me with.

found out a few days ago that the compression rod on my 1991 pathfinder broke.

I have been trying to locate one locally but no luck (still gonna keep looking tho). What I would like from you guys is the following:

I was planning to take it to a machine shop and have it welded until such time that I can source a genuine replacement. Is this wise?

If I am unsuccesful in locating one locally, can someone direct me somewhere on the internet where I could order one.

Any help in the above regard would be most appreciated.

Melbo

Postby Melbo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 am

As with all things mechanical it is your call BUT if you don't drive highways regularly -- just some bump around and it was cost effective I might do the welding route. I get nervous about high speed highway driving on suspension components that less than they should be (if we are talking about the compression rod I am thinking) just for safety.

Melbo

Gheildon

Postby Gheildon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Finally located the compression rod but now that I have released it I realised another problem.

The hole which the threaded end of the rod enter on the chassis is eaten out. meaning the hole seems to have become MUCH bigger than it is suppose to be I guess due to years of wear. This it has occurred to me is what is responsible for the squeaking I hear when breaking.

I am figuring out how to address this as we speak, any suggestions.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:56 pm

The proper way would be to get a new bracket (I think you can still get it from Nissan) and get the old one cut off and the new bracket welded on. A good body repair or frame shop should be able to do this.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”