87 Pathfinder with rough idle and stalls when accelerating

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

August59

87 Pathfinder with rough idle and stalls when accelerating

Postby August59 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 am

I have an 87 Pathfinder and developed a hose leak that was squirting water on the fan, which in turn was blowing the anti-freeze/water mixture all over the engine. It gave it a really good soaking.

Needless to say it didn't run for long after it started as it stated running rough and eventually stalled. Tried to crank it back up, but it would catch for about 30 seconds and then backfire through exhaust I know and maybe throttle body. It never did run hot.

I had to let it sit for a couple of days and filled it up with water. It cranked up fine and drove it home (only about a block) and turned it off. The engine still got another good soaking, but I turned it off before the water did.

I fixed the radiator hose and cranked it up and let it idle a bit, but when I went to give it gas it stalled. Started it back up and gave it gas real slow and it worked fine. Went to put it in gear and it stalls just as it did when pushing gas pedal real real quickly.

Any ideas where I should start? I checked the ECM, but it gave no codes. Could the timing belt jumped a tooth? Thanks for any help?

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”