1995 Nissan Pathfinder Rear Diff...

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

The_Force

1995 Nissan Pathfinder Rear Diff...

Postby The_Force » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:07 pm

I am trying to figure out if my Pathfinder has a Limited Slip Differential or a regular differential.

I am going to save up and have the rear diff oil changed down the road, but need to know if it is a LSD or regular.

I have looked under the hood and on the sticker on the door jamb, but nothing. I am assuming if it does not have LSD listed anywhere, I have a regular diff.

Also, the only marking I found on the rear diff were the numbers "554" stamped on it with no model name.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 pm

There was originally a yellow LSD sticker on the diff cover from the factory; sometimes it falls off or gets buried under grime and dirt. Easy was to tell is jack up the rear wheels and, in neutral, turn one by hand. If you turn one rear wheel forward and the opposite wheel on the axle turns forward, as well, you have an LSD diff. If the opposite wheel turns in the opposite direction as the wheel you are turning, it is an open carrier. As far as the gear oil, you can put GL-5 "LSD approved" gear oil into a non-LSD diff and it will not harm it. Nissan used to use Pennzoil LSD approved GL-5 for warranty claims, but there are a number of other choices that will work fine.

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:15 pm

smj999smj wrote:There was originally a yellow LSD sticker on the diff cover from the factory; sometimes it falls off or gets buried under grime and dirt. Easy was to tell is jack up the rear wheels and, in neutral, turn one by hand. If you turn one rear wheel forward and the opposite wheel on the axle turns forward, as well, you have an LSD diff. If the opposite wheel turns in the opposite direction as the wheel you are turning, it is an open carrier. As far as the gear oil, you can put GL-5 "LSD approved" gear oil into a non-LSD diff and it will not harm it. Nissan used to use Pennzoil LSD approved GL-5 for warranty claims, but there are a number of other choices that will work fine.
Oh, if I can use the GL-5 LSD oil in a non-LSD diff, then I don't really have to worry about checking it.

I thought putting in a LSD oil in a non LSD diff would damage it, that's the reason I wanted to check.

Thanks for the reply.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:37 pm

No, it won't harm it, but putting non-LSD oil into an LSD diff will be a problem!

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:35 am

Someone helped figure out that I have a regular diff (Pulled into a parking spot and spun the tires while the other person observed).

Now that I know what kind of diff I have, what GL-5 oil is recommended? Can I just use any GL-5 oil in the diff?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:00 pm

API GL-5 80W90 is what's recommended by Nissan. I use Walmart's Syntech Full-synthetic gear oil 75W90 in my diffs. Mobil One sythetic is another popular choice (I'm pretty sure they make the Syntech synthetic gear oil for Walmart, but I'm not 100% sure.). Some like Amsoil...some like Royal Purple...some like "cheapest GL-5 gear oil on the shelf." It's really your choice and all will work; I just prefer to use the synthetic.

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 pm

How much gear oil does the rear diff take (non LSD diff)?

I was looking at the service manual and it lists 3 different quantities..should I err on the side of caution and go with 4 quarts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:15 am

You should have an H233B rear, which would take 5-7/8 pints. The front diff should be an R200A requiring 3-1/8 pints.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”