Steps to regain power in my 1992?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

jungleexplorer

Steps to regain power in my 1992?

Postby jungleexplorer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am

Last year my water pump went out on my 92 4WD while I was on the road and I replaced it myself on the street next to an O,Reilly's. Anyone who has ever done this knows what a pain this is and that overhauling the engine is easier to do. It especially hard when you are trying to do it with just your emergency tool box and a few rentals from O,Reilly's. It took me 12 hours and I got done at 5am the next day.

Long story short, I did not have the right tool to get the timing right and that set off a whole sequence of events that has result in about $2,000 of repair. I paid to have a new timing chain put in, new exhaust manifolds, new thermostat and new radiator. But after all this, my pathfinder seems to have lost considerable power. I use to be able to burn rubber (Only did this once or twice) and tow my twelve foot travel trailer, but now I have a hard time just taking off. When I first step on the gas pedal, I feel a slight delay and shuddering in the engine for about a second before the engine starts to rev up. I have had the timing check twice by mechanic shops, and they say it is dead on. I have run, I don't know how many bottles of injector cleaner, like lucus, techron etc, through it to clean the injectors. I am worried that when my water pump went out that my engine overheated and damaged the valves or something. The engine does not smoke or burn oil and runs smoothly once it gets past the initial acceleration from the idle position.

I don't know where to start. I guess a new set of wires and plugs could not hurt, but where else should I look? Thanks

medicbaldwin

Postby medicbaldwin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:37 am

have you considered doing a compression check? I'm assuming when the 2000 was spent for repairs you also did the basic tune up business as well? Just a few ideas

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:32 am

check the timing, as well as any vacuum hoses that are not in the right places.

noe58

poor running no power

Postby noe58 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:33 am

I had a similar problem with my pathfinder after 2 months of trying to
remedy the problem it turns out to be the cam sensor i had the O2 sensor
changed and the problem went away but when the truck warmed up it ran
like shit sputtering poor gas mileage no power after going to the junk yard I took apart a distributor and getting the parts changing them took 20 minutes the truck has been running great ever since.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”