Engine Tick - URGENT!!! NEED HELP NOW

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

mrlorendecker

Engine Tick - URGENT!!! NEED HELP NOW

Postby mrlorendecker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:15 pm

I have a 95 path with the stock 3.0 V6 and lately there has been a loud ticking. it sounds almost like there's no oil in it, but I checked the oil and it is full. Any ideas on what it might be???

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Well, first you're in the wrong section. You should have posted in the WD21 section, but we'll forgive you! It's tough to tell you what you're problem is without hearing the noise or being able to see the truck in person. Hydraulic lifters have been known to "tick" in VG engines. I've never seen one fail that was ticking, but they can get pretty noisy and annoying. Some people have tried engine flushing or adding Seafoam to the oil, but in most cases the only fix is to replace the lifters. Another common "tick" can be caused by broken exhaust studs, causing a leak at the exhaust manifold gasket; often the "tick" is loudest when the engine is cold and the right, or passenger, side manifold is more prone to failure than the left side. Harder studs were introduced by Nissan years ago to replace the original studs that break and there was a TSB on the issue. You need to try and isolate the exact location of the noise.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”