88 XE, needs help

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

bluemonster

88 XE, needs help

Postby bluemonster » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi all,

Just picked up an 88 XE 4x4 that had been sitting for two years. PO indicated that her son moved away and before that it was a DD / mudtruck... It starts but misses and stumbles terribly. Gets worse as it warms up. After that, once you rev it up too much, it will eventually big out and die, almost as if its getting too much fuel and not enough air. There are no CES lights on. I did put about 3 gallons of 93 octane in it with Techron and Seafoam. Also put on a new fuel filter. Redoing some vac hoses tomorrow. Can you think of anything else I need to check? Any help is much appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:03 pm

What engine?

yellowbug

Postby yellowbug » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:53 pm

If it is a vg engine than maybe the timing could be off.

bluemonster

Postby bluemonster » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:22 am

Its the v6...

yellowbug

Postby yellowbug » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:02 am

3.0 right? It's probably a vg. Might want to check timing if small things don't work first.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:01 pm

If it's a VG30i engine, check the fuel spray out of the two fuel injectors in the throttle body while running using a timing light. The strobe light affect will let you observe the spray pattern. Make sure both injectors are working. If it's been sitting for two years, I would also be suspect of the secondary ignition system. Check the cap, rotor, wires and plugs and replace, as necessary, with NGK or genuine Nissan parts. Check for a leaking throttle body gasket and check for leaking vacuum hoses. Wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pressure, as well.

bluemonster

Postby bluemonster » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 am

Cleaned the throttle body yesterday and helped, but still stumbles and backfires after warming up. The EGR passage was completely blocked, I cleaned this as well. One issue I have is that the plugs are stuck in the head. I let them set for over three hours in a "pool" of WD40 and tried to break loose, but are too tight and I'm afraid of breaking off. Any ideas on this?
It is a VG30 motor. Seems to idle fine, but after warming up, it gets worse...

bluemonster

Postby bluemonster » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:08 am

OK, Still cant remove the spark plugs, but did clean the MAF sensor, with correct cleaner, and now getting a CES. Haven't pulled code yet, but seemed to run a little better, until it warms up. Then the same sputtering, especially under load. after warm, I can keep blipping the throttle and eventually I can hear the air sucking in through the throttle body, but it acts as if its not getting enough fuel. Idles perfect.
Any ideas?

ezlife

Postby ezlife » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Warm the truck up as much as you can, wd40 on the plugs and then try to pull the plugs. Be careful because it's easier to break the porcelain when warm, but this is the best bet to get the plugs out.

winndixie21

plugs

Postby winndixie21 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:32 pm

The stuck plugs is pretty common, I ran the engine until it was at operating temp, I thought I would strip mine also, but I got them to break loose and kept working them in and out with PB Blaster It took a while to get them out but it worked for me.
I would say if you can get them to break loose work them back and fourth with plenty of blaster and don't get in a hurry or you will strip the heads. A few choice words seemed to help me get through it also =)

Be sure to use some never seize on the threads when you put them back in.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”