89 pathy no start into crazy sound when turning over

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

stangkilla1

89 pathy no start into crazy sound when turning over

Postby stangkilla1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm

almost sounds like the starter isnt quite engaging but enough to turn it over slower battery volts are 12.67 when ignition off. i tried to"just" remove starter which isnt that easy and noticed metal all be it small shavings around the small hole by the starter.I couldn't just take the starter off so i looked to make sure there wasn't anything obvious which not except the wire that connects the solenoid to the starter body was mushy usually quite stiff. any thing u guys could offer would be great including an easy way of getting the starter outta my 89 v6 pathy auto and manual(have a parts truck thank creator).

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:35 am

You're right; it's not an easy starter to get out. If you unbolt the idler arm and lower the steering linkage, you can pull the starter up past the motor mount to the front of the engine. The metal shaving are a concern and I would be worried about possibly have damaged/stripped teeth on the ring gear of the flywheel. If there is, the trans may need to be dropped to remove the flywheel and a new ring gear installed. A new starter may also be in order. Of course, this is only speculation until the starter is removed and inspection made of those parts.

stangkilla1

crazy no start fixed.

Postby stangkilla1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:55 pm

here i thought after all ive done to this truck why won't it start. i was told that the distributor was new so i never even though to check it so in the end it was a brand new faulty distributor weird rite?turns out the connector was cracked and old so i used the dist. from my 5spd and she fired rite up??? so glad but was sooo mystified by the sounds that were comin from her that she was a goner but im sure glad it's running and driving. i did remove the starter and was able to get it out without taking all the steering bars off so thats a new one. it was pretty easy too. just moved the trans lines and brackets and it sort came rite out. so thx a bunch for ur help its really awesome.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”