88 VG30I rebuild

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

eighty eight75

88 VG30I rebuild

Postby eighty eight75 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:26 pm

i just bought an 88, its a great path, its got 230k on it, i am the second owner. the owner was meticulus about the service records. its never been in a wreck and everything works!!! shes a perfect canidate for rebuilding. the first thing i want to do is put in a Calmini suspension kit. should i just take the body off and do the frame? like powder coating the frame and rewire and such? i have never done a frame off resto, im very smart and have always worked on my vehicles, is this all within reach?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 am

That really depends on what you plan to do with it as well as what your budget is, if you have the space and equipment to do such a swap and your own abilities and access to tools. If you plan on going off-roading, it doesn't really make a whole let a sense to go frame off and powder coating; that would seem more appropriate for a show vehicle that is never going to see the off-road. If your plan is to go off-roading, you might want to just give it a good cleaning with some Simple Green and a pressure washer, or a steam cleaner, if you have access to one. There's also no reason to re-wire it if everything works and there isn't any problems with the electrical.

eighty eight75

Postby eighty eight75 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:08 am

great information, so i decided to just upgrade my suspension to a Calmini set up, 3" suspension kit, HD replacement steering system, and idler arm brace. do i need to get HD wheel bearings or a HD universal joint to support my upgraded suspension?

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”