Do I need to worry?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

The_Force

Do I need to worry?

Postby The_Force » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 am

1995 Nissan Pathfinder.

Had the AT Temp, brake and battery light all come on at once.

Took it to an O'Reliy parts store to have it checked and they told me my alternator is going bad. Ordered a new remanufactured one and once it gets here, will take it to my mechanic to have it replaced.

My front brakes were replaced back in June and the battery is practically brand new <But it had about half power left, until I get the alternator replaced and hopefully won't need to get a new one).

Should I worry about the other 2 lights (AT Oil Temp and brake light) since they did not light up before?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Hopefully you'll have warranty on the battery if its gone bad due to the alternator.

Replace the alternator and see what happens with the lights. Most of the sensors have a 'minimum voltage' requirement, and if not met, can light up the dash.

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:29 pm

disallow wrote:Hopefully you'll have warranty on the battery if its gone bad due to the alternator.

Replace the alternator and see what happens with the lights. Most of the sensors have a 'minimum voltage' requirement, and if not met, can light up the dash.
Thanks.

Will see how it goes after the alternator change.

My battery comes with a 24 month (2 year) replacement warranty and a 72 month (6 year) pro-rated warranty, so that is a not an issue.

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:38 am

Once I get the alternator replaced, should I go and get my battery replaced too or should I just leave the battery I have alone?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 pm

I doubt they'll replace it if its not testing bad.

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:31 am

disallow wrote:I doubt they'll replace it if its not testing bad.
It was at half charge when I went and initially tested it....I hope the new alternator will charge the battery back up.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:13 am

Just to give everything the best possible chance, you should put your battery on a charger. Alternators aren't reeally designed to chargew the battery in that way.

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:47 pm

disallow wrote:Just to give everything the best possible chance, you should put your battery on a charger. Alternators aren't reeally designed to chargew the battery in that way.
Yes, I was just thinking about that...been trying to see if anyone I know has one I can borrow, but no go...I suppose if the battery is still bad after the alternator change, I will get it replaced under warranty.

Just found this clause on the Advance auto parts website, where I bought the battery:
DISCHARGED BATTERY
A battery that is within the warranty period and found to be only in a state of discharge will be recharged at no cost to you.

The_Force

Pathfinder working like a champ again!

Postby The_Force » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 pm

All went well today. Went to the repair shop at about 8 am, waited till about 8.30 and was out by about 10 am or so.

Then went to the parts store where I bought my battery to make sure it didn't need a charge and sure enough it didn't (was running at 12.5 volts). They must have charged the battery for me at the repair shop before I left.

Also decided to get all the belts replaced at the same time.

The new "re manufactured" alternator is working great and I got it for a little more than half off on ebay.

Just happy it all turned out well in the end.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”