Got a good one here, ABS and Brake Light....steady on, off

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

rollingrock

Got a good one here, ABS and Brake Light....steady on, off

Postby rollingrock » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Hey folks

This new to me 93 VG30E has rear ABS...while at the ranch, we hit some rough road going to town (some wash boards on country road) and boom the ABS and Brake light came on.

this was a few weeks back, its been on....while at the ranch again this weekend, I hit a big bump that was on the left side of the road and the ABS and Brake light went off. I was pretty excited....the next morning I hit another bump, same side of the road, left, and the lights are back on. Then again, hit another bump and its off again.

I know the sensor is pretty expensive but what has me scratching my head is the left side hits making it come on, then off then back on then off again. Am I missing something? I thought there was only one speed sensor on the ABS that is attached to the rear diff?

I have recently replaced the rear pads and bleed most of the old fluid out and replaced with new fluid.

Any tips would be appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Make sure the fluid level is full in the reservoir, check for damaged wires around the R-ABS sensor. If those are okay, you might try unplugging and plugging back in the harness connector to the ABS control unit.

rollingrock

Postby rollingrock » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:36 pm

smj999smj wrote:Make sure the fluid level is full in the reservoir, check for damaged wires around the R-ABS sensor. If those are okay, you might try unplugging and plugging back in the harness connector to the ABS control unit.
Thank you, I did put more fluid in but I will check it again...as for the clip on the diff, its pretty hard to get to...if I get it off, should I pack it with thermal grease?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Dielectric grease won't hurt. I was actually referring to the ABS control unit, which is located under the driver's seat. There's a metal cover over it with a couple of 10MM head bolts. Simply unplug the harness connectors to it and replug them back in, making sure they are securely seated.

rollingrock

Postby rollingrock » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

smj999smj wrote:Dielectric grease won't hurt. I was actually referring to the ABS control unit, which is located under the driver's seat. There's a metal cover over it with a couple of 10MM head bolts. Simply unplug the harness connectors to it and replug them back in, making sure they are securely seated.
I didn't know it was there...I know the ECM is under the passenger side...and the alarm programing thing under the drivers side...

I will check it out....good tip

I cannot get to that until Thursday, gotta jump on a plane on Tuesday and Wed.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Yes, it's right along side of the anti-theft module under the driver's seat.

rollingrock

Postby rollingrock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:04 pm

still haven't had a chance to take a look at this. I had to solve another problem, pulled all the drive belts off and replaced the brand new timing belt.

Had a little engine noise that was driving me crazy.

rollingrock

Postby rollingrock » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 pm

smj999smj wrote:Dielectric grease won't hurt. I was actually referring to the ABS control unit, which is located under the driver's seat. There's a metal cover over it with a couple of 10MM head bolts. Simply unplug the harness connectors to it and replug them back in, making sure they are securely seated.
finally got around to checking the plug, pulled it and reseated it...

ABS and Brake light still on.

Damn. Any other suggestions?

BTW, I didn't hit a bump or anything just randomlly came back on.

I think I need to change the front pads...maybe that will do it.

More later

elviejo41585

Postby elviejo41585 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm

I had the same problem and I toped off the brake fluid and the light went away its been like 3 weeks now hasn't came back on yet

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”