Spare Tire Carrier Info

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

boldly

Spare Tire Carrier Info

Postby boldly » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 am

Hi guys,

I own a Chevy Colorado, and I recently came into posession of a Nissan Pathfinder spare tire carrier, which I believe came off of an early to mid 1990's model. I fabbed it a little bit so that the arms connecting to the hinges are wide enough to go around my tail lights, but before I start drilling into my body, I was hoping for some help.

I was wondering how this carrier connects to the fender of the Nissan Pathfinder, i.e. is there some sort of reinforcement on the inside of the fender? What's the hardware look like on the inside of the SUV where the carrier connects? I feel like with this info, it will help me better get an idea of properly connecting the carrier to my truck.

Obviously, not being a Pathfinder owner, I have no access to this info, so any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated to my project.

Thanks very much for anything you can do, much appreciated!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:56 am

There are supports on the inside of the rear quarter panel. These might help you:

Parts diagram of spare tire carrier, exterior:

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... nlPartList

Parts diagram of quarterpanel. Note part codes 57270 and 57295:

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... geID=31322

I hope your Chevy's sheet metal is of the same strength as the Pathfinders, which is pretty thick. That spare tire carrier is pretty heavy!

boldly

Postby boldly » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Awesome, exactly the kind of thing I needed. Thanks a bunch!

TheRude1

Postby TheRude1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 pm

I'd like to see pics !

boldly

Postby boldly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks for the interest! Here's some pics of the welds (only pics I've taken so far), hope they work!

Ordered the hardware, and gonna make some molds of the outer fender this weekend so that the hinges will sit flush against it.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”