Question about locking hubs.

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

feeshta

Question about locking hubs.

Postby feeshta » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Hello all, I'm not an owner, but I am trying to help out my girlfriend's dad, who is not computer savvy. He has an 89, and one of his auto-locking hubs failed. He wants to replace them with manual lockers, both due to cost, and for the sake of future reliability. We found this diagram, and he says that the parts labeled as a snap ring, lock washer, and thrust washer are all toast. My question is what other parts he would need besides a set of manual lockers to make this conversion. Would he also need the part labeled a drive clutch and the snap ring? Or are these included with a manual locker set? If he does need them, where would they be found? I have not been able to find a good parts identification site for these vehicles so far.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 am

Just pick up a set of WARN locking hubs. They are stronger than the Nissan units and have a better warranty (and less expensive, besides).

feeshta

Postby feeshta » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 am

smj999smj wrote:Just pick up a set of WARN locking hubs. They are stronger than the Nissan units and have a better warranty (and less expensive, besides).
But does that replace the broken parts in queston? The plan has always been to replace the hubs, I just need to know if there are any other parts needed to make the switchover from auto to manual hubs.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:17 pm

You would need the lock washer and the snap ring (there are 7 available sizes), but wouldn't need the thrust washer if you are going to manual locking hubs. If you want to go to WARN hubs, you'll need part #28739, which has a lifetime warranty and is available for $200 at Summit Racing with free shipping.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrn-28739

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... nlPartList

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”