1988 V6 auto tranny wiring question

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

hilldeej

1988 V6 auto tranny wiring question

Postby hilldeej » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:02 pm

Hope someone can help here. Bought the rig knowing the trans was bound up in first gear. Literally will not move. I will move in 2nd by manually shifting the floor shifter. Its an 88 with 120000 miles on it. Guessing it got hot due to the factory crap tranny cooler. My buddy told me it was toast so I bought a used tranny from an importer in Idaho. The trans I got is identical in every way except on the main harness my old tranny has 8 wires coming i
out of the plug to the car and the new trans only has seven. The wire in question is a tan or peach colored wire. Has anyone ever ran into this? Or does any one know what it may control. I have no idea what rig the new trans came out of...the importer said it was the correct on however. I am planning on a new cooler. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

SpecialWarr

Postby SpecialWarr » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:47 pm

From what I can decipher here in the Haynes manual it looks like there are really 8 wires listed, but the caveat is that is also say "typical chassis wiring diagram"..... the only brown wire I can see is that one that goes to one of the terminals of the transmission inhibitor switch (there are three others: yellow/white, blue/red, and yellow/red and the mystery brown wire) Can you confirm this?

It looks like the brown and blue/red wires are connected under a condition: N.P. ON ... but the two others are open under REV ON .....

hoping this helps and apologies if it doesn't!!

hilldeej

Postby hilldeej » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I contacted the supplier today and they stated i could swap harnesses from my old trans to the new one requiring pulling the valve body. They also said they screwed up and sent the wrong tranny. In the end they delivered a new correct tranny today at no charge. I was pretty happy with that. From what i understand in 88 there was an early and late model one with 8 wires and one with 7. The 8th wire (brown) goes to a trans temp sensor. The company was Foriegn Engine Exchange in Couer d'Alene ID. The tranny comes with a one year warranty as long as you follow their installion guide and use their provided cooler and trans line flush which is included in the price. It cost $524 out the door. To have the tranny rebuilt started at $1300 on up depending on damage to hard parts etc...and it would only have a 6 month warranty. Hopefully it will be on the road this weekend. By the way pulling the trans is a huge PITA and I have a lift. Thanks again. :D

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”