1994 automatic trannsmissiom problem

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

kurtsfire

1994 automatic trannsmissiom problem

Postby kurtsfire » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:29 pm

My 94 pathfinder will not shift out of first, When I'm start driving it seems fine, then after a few minutes when I stop at a light, it will not shift up. I have to pull over and shut off the engine for a few seconds and start it again. After that it runs fine, till I park it and it cool down. To me it seems electrical, not sure.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:11 pm

In the FSM symptom chart, the list of things to check, in order, for a failure to shift from D1 to D2 is as follows (items in BOLD text require removal and teardown of trans:

1-inhibitor switch
2-control linkage
3-shift solenoid valve "A"
4-control valve assembly
5-revolution sensor and speed sensor
6-brake band

The first thing I would do is check for transmission trouble codes. Procedure as follows:

1-Start engine and warm to normal operating temperature.
2-Turn ignition switch to "OFF" position.
3-Shift "power switch" to "OFF" position.
4-Set O/D switch to "ON" position.
5-Move shift lever to "PARK" position.
6-Turn ignition switch to "ON" position, but do not start engine.
7-Move shifter to "1" position.
8-Turn O/D switch "OFF."
9-Depress accelerator pedal completely to floor and release.
10-Check power shift indicator lamp for flashing codes.
*A long flash followed by 10 short flashes means that all circuits that can be confirmed by self-diagnosis are okay. If one of the 10 flashes (after the long flash that begins each sequence) is a longer duration than the others, than that indicates the code number, which run from 1-10. If all of the flashes are long flashes, this indicates a weak battery or that the battery has been disconnected a long time. If the light comes on continuously, it means the inhibitor switch, O/D switch, kickdown switch or idle switch are disconnected, or the TCM is damaged. If you get a 1-10 code, post it and I'll let you know what it's for.

If you are going to attempt to diagnose this yourself, I would highly recommend you get a copy of the Nissan factory service manual for this vehicle. Also make sure you check the ATF level and condition. ATF that is brownish in color is usually a sign that one or more clutch packs are breaking down or that the fluid is long overdue for servicing. Shiny particles in the fluid can indicate a hard part failure is occurring.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”