2003 Pathfinder won't start - Key?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

bxl

2003 Pathfinder won't start - Key?

Postby bxl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Our 2003 Pathfinder suddenly has starting issues. It's an intermittent problem. When it happens, all the lights on the dash work. No clicking from the starter. Everything electric is hot - the cigarette-lighter-powered GPS is getting juice. But it wont' turn over. Completely dead.

Usually the first time of the day it starts. Usually after it's been sitting for awhile it starts. It's that restart after we've gone somewhere and it's time to come back.

My regular mechanic says it might be the key, that maybe the chip has died (or is dying) and I need a new one. The price to replace it is a significant portion of the value of the vehicle at this point, so I'd like to be sure I'm right.

The odd thing is that this behavior happened a couple of months ago and stopped for several weeks, and now it's happening again. Electronics don't typically heal themselves so now I'm thinking that it might be something else.

Anyone seen this behavior before? Do I need a new key?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:34 am

I seriously doubt it's the key since you say you get the idiot lights. Take a broom handle and tap the starter a few times while someone turns the key. See if that does anything. If not, put a voltmeter on the starter while turning the key. The starter bendix may be sticking. If you get juice to the starter it's time for a new starter. If there is no juice you need to trace it backward..the relay would be next.

bxl

Postby bxl » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 am

moymurfs wrote: If you get juice to the starter it's time for a new starter. If there is no juice you need to trace it backward..the relay would be next.
Thanks I'll get a broomhandle and start there. Would either the bendix or the relay be something that happens intermittently? I had this problem last fall, and it's been fine for months and now it's happening again.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Either could start to fail in that manner. Could be a very gradual breakdown of parts that can be influenced by a few things like vibration, dirt, temperature, moisture, voltage fluxuation or a combination. A starter bendix can get crud that replaces clean grease. Instead of lube you get the equivalent of a glue. It will sometimes stick and sometimes work. The dirt can also get into the electrical contacts,,,that's not good either.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”