Prices on various repairs? 2001 Pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

standups2

Prices on various repairs? 2001 Pathfinder

Postby standups2 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:50 pm

I feel like these are pretty high prices (labor included). 2001 Pathfinder 158k miles.

Replacing 90% worn Front Brakes (pads and rotors) - $593.31
Replacing bad Transmission Mount - $258.95
Rear Suspension Bushings have a lot of place, recommend replacing shocks at the same time - $987.31
Front Struts bad, recommend replacing mounts, plates, and bearings too - $831.62

Side note: I will be replacing the transmission mount no question, it's been causing a vibration at idle for a while. The reason the struts came into question was I am getting a "clunk" noise whenever I start to break and when I make a left turn.

The front struts probably do need to be replaced. I'm getting a second opinion on the brakes because I took it to a Firestone and they said nothing about the brakes a month ago - and they always tell you. Not sure what to think about the rear bushings and shocks.

Let me know if you think this stuff is fair, I appreciate the help. I was just given this car by a family member after I had wanted it for so long, so I want to keep this thing around for at least four more years.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:52 am

Seems a little steep. I suggest getting a competing quote from another reputable establishment. Even better, if you can find someone who specializes in japanese cars.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 pm

YIKES! I couldn't afford squat if I had to pay those prices! Do you personally have any do-it-yourself wrenching skills? There are plenty of parts places to order your own stuff. If you have to have someone else do it ask around to co-workers, friends for a good garage that won't rip you off. Knowing what you REALLY do and don't need is crucial. Otherwise they will tell you you need everything under the sun.

For example: ON ebay you can get new front rotors and pads DELIVERED for under $100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-KIT-PERFO ... 6e&vxp=mtr The high tech stuff (that you don't need) isn't all that much more either....consider that when they want right at $600 :shock:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 pm

There's a good free site that lets you find out what repairs should cost in your area:

www.repairpal.com/estimator

Jerm

Postby Jerm » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:49 am

Buy a Haynes manual and wrenches save on repair bills....

The only really complicated thing you posted is the front struts as they can be quite dangerous to disassemble the entire assembly without the proper equipment. However, if you purchase a strut with the spring already installed it's no risk to you or bystanders.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”