Dodged Another Bullet a.k.a. A trip to a mechanic

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

moymurfs

Dodged Another Bullet a.k.a. A trip to a mechanic

Postby moymurfs » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:12 pm

She was running rough with the idle fluctuating and occassionally cut off on my son. He limped it back from PA to NC. My first thought was the IACV, replaced it, still the same. Codes showed misfire, Cat below efficiency etc etc. Checked fuel flow-good. Plugs, wires , spark YYYEEEOOOWW!. :shock: ..good etc etc. I started digging into the distributor and found numerous metal shavings in the base. Come to find out the bearing gave out and the top of it had been peeled away. This let the upper assembly drop ever-so-slightly which scored the underside of the cam shaft position sensor "signal plate" (that silver dial you can easily see). Got a new distributor in and it's smooth as silk! I still need to properly set the timing by putting the PCM in the diagnostic mode and doing the timing light deal on it but I was at my wits end and was ready to have it towed to a mechanic :x

Something to keep an eye on if doing a tune-up on these higher mileage vehicles!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”