Power train issue?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

hutchscout

Power train issue?

Postby hutchscout » Thu May 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Hello. I just developed a strange new symptom in my otherwise totally reliable 2003 LE, with 126K. I'm working out of town, in NYC, just drove into a parking garage, and as I started driving up the ramp, the car had zero power. I stepped on the gas, but the car would only drive at a slow crawl. I managed to get into the first vacant space, shut off the car and checked what I could check. Plenty of gas and oil, temperature was fine, no unusual smells (I was thinking at first it overheated.) I started the car again, stepped on the gas- it revved normally. I drove higher up into the parking garage, car seemed normal- and then again, no power, car moving at the slowest possible crawl. The only other strange symptom was that the air bag warning light was flashing. (Has never happened before.)

I pulled into a space, put the car into Park. The air bag light flashed a few more times, then turned solid (stopped flashing), then went out. I left the car in the garage.

Now I'm far from home, and I haven't a clue what's wrong. I have an extended power train warranty, but I don't think it sounds like a transmission issue, and I don't think it sounds like an engine issue, but I'm not a mechanic. If any one has a clue what it could be, please let me know.

Thanks!

Livemeyer

Postby Livemeyer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:37 pm

I had a similar issue driving my '03 into a parking garage. I was behind a line of cars, waiting on a slight incline. It stalled right there, with cars waiting in front and behind me. I rolled it down the hill and at level it started again, zipped up the ramp and parked just fine.

On return drive home it started bucking and giving fits. It died on a main road and wouldn't start. Officer pushed me into a gas station. After a fill up it ran normally. So, in my situation it seems it was the fuel sending unit was faulty. Had it repaired, but not before it died again on an incline.

I suppose this could be what your Pathfinder was experiencing, but if you tell me you had a full or near-full tank then I'd want to know about it, in case it is another issue.

hutchscout

Alternator

Postby hutchscout » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:53 am

It turned out to be the alternator.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”