2003 Pathfinder clunk noise - front suspension

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

robbykh

2003 Pathfinder clunk noise - front suspension

Postby robbykh » Thu May 08, 2014 10:33 am

I have a 2003 Pathfinder with 86,100 miles and is making a clunk noise coming from the front suspension that not body know where it is coming from.

So far I have replaced the following and the noise is still there:
Both front lower control arms and ball joints.
Front sway bar links.
Front sway bar link bushings.
Front struts.

According to both mechanics it is safe to drive the vehicle however the noise drives me crazy.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Fri May 09, 2014 4:49 am

When you did the struts did you replace the upper strut mounts? There is molded rubber in them that supports the metal washer the strut rod goes through. There is also rubber underneath the mount that acts as an insulator. If either place get worn you can get enough slack that will still let the strut bounce around under load.

robbykh

Postby robbykh » Fri May 09, 2014 4:13 pm

moymurfs, i appreciate the response and suggestion. The first mechanic who replaced the struts DID NOT replace the strut mounts. The good thing he did was replaced the struts with KYB brand.

I took it to another shop specialized on Infinity, Nissan and Acura vehicles and they found, after couple of days of fiddling with the car, the strut mounts were making the noise. They pretty much had to attach an stethoscope to the suspension and drive around to reproduce the issue to pin point where the noise was coming from. The parts to fix the issue was not that expensive; the expensive part was the labor. I had to pay them as if they were replacing the struts.
The mechanic who replaced my struts wanted to save me money but I ended up spending more.
My Pathfinder is now nice and quiet, no noise whatsoever.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Fri May 09, 2014 4:35 pm

Cool, as I posted in another thread I just finished replacing both fronts on mine. I have no doubt your mechanic spent the majority of the time on the coil springs...removing them and reinstalling them in the correct position. It can be a pain. Now I only hear the tires :)

robbykh

Postby robbykh » Mon May 12, 2014 8:09 am

I should be replacing the rear shocks as I have a bit of bottoming out.

Any suggestions on which brand of shocks for the rear?

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Tue May 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Bottoming out would not be the shocks but, the springs. They are a bit weak. Mine bottomed out frequently with passengers or a bit of luggage. You can go with stiffer springs, spacers or, air bags.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Wed May 14, 2014 8:16 am

When the shock bushings are worn you can get the same sound/feel as though it's bottoming out. When the rubber is gone inside the "eye" it just slams around against the mounting bolt.
As for brand, I went with Monroe. You would be fine with those or KYB.. Stay away from SenSen .

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”