Which Rear Shocks should I buy ??

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

robbykh

Which Rear Shocks should I buy ??

Postby robbykh » Thu May 15, 2014 8:18 am

The rear of my pathy feels really bouncy. For my 03 Pathfinder there are not too many choices out there for rear shocks.
After reading reviews from users the best choice is KYB. They offer two different types of shocks but I can't decide which shocks to buy.
The first choice in the KYB brand is the EXCEL G OE Replacement. According to KYB's website this is the recommended OE replacement. One reviewer gave it a one star by saying that his Pathfinder bounces excessively. Another reviewer gave it a five star by saying that They're the perfect balance of firm/pliant for on-road driving where the biggest obstacle is a speedbump or a pothole.
The second choice in the KYB brand is the Gas-A-Just monotube shock absorber. One review rated it with four stars by saying that the Shock provided the compression as needed such as on bumps and drops (same as Rancho), yet provide the stiffness on turns (bit better than Rancho). A second reviewer gave it a four stars by saying After having drove around 100mi in these Gas-A-Justs, I do notice a stiffer ride in the rear compared to the front.

Bottom line is that I need to replace my shocks but I do not know which ones in the KYB brand.

If you replaced your rear shocks please share your experience with me so that I can decide which kind to buy.

Thanks,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 15, 2014 11:46 pm

The Nissan shocks and struts are made by KYB. The Excels are the same as stock. The Gas-a-justs are a monotube shock and are more expensive and an upgrade over the stock units. Make sure your rear suspension link bushings are good, as well, as these are known to be problematic on the R50's.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”