1996 pathfinder doing ~40 miles on 5 gallons

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

waelkd

1996 pathfinder doing ~40 miles on 5 gallons

Postby waelkd » Tue May 20, 2014 1:24 am

Good day ,

My 1996 pathfinder is doing 40 miles city wise, it is driving me crazy, i have changed the spark plugs,gas filter,air filter.

And it is still doing for low on the mileage, only thing i havent changed yet is the electric distributor because i dont think it would effect my mileage.

The only thing i can think of is checking on the cylinders and their combustion chamber.

Any good ideas are well appreciated.

Thank you

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 20, 2014 5:44 am

not sure what you are asking here.

If you are saying you are getting 40 miles out of 5 gallons of gas in the city, I would say it is a little high, but depnding on your driving style and condition of the vehicle, and your method to measure this, there may be nothing that can be done about it.

One thing to check is brake dragging. Jack each wheel one at a time, and see if there is a significant drag caused by the brakes. If there is, get them serviced.

t

waelkd

Postby waelkd » Tue May 20, 2014 11:46 pm

What i am asking is , why is my car doing for low mileage. Regarding how i drive, i keep my rpm under 2k,vehicle condition is vgood, had it fully checked , i measure the distance by going out at 5am on Saturday for a long driver filled the tank with gas and did my math after ~ an hour of driving.

what do you mean by brake drag?

I think ill be checking my oxygen and knock sensor later this week .

Thanks

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Fri May 23, 2014 5:27 am

If there is a problem with the computer and it's feeding too much fuel in proportion to the amount of air then the motor would be burning gas inefficiently resulting in low milage but, there would be telltale signs such as excessive smoking. Typically if there is too much fuel to the amount of air dark grey smoke would result. Excess air would produce a white smoke.
Perfect combustion would result in no noticeable smoke. Dirty, partially clogged injectors would also result in incomplete combustion and thus bad milage as would low compression.

waelkd

Postby waelkd » Sun May 25, 2014 11:27 pm

Hooligan wrote:If there is a problem with the computer and it's feeding too much fuel in proportion to the amount of air then the motor would be burning gas inefficiently resulting in low milage but, there would be telltale signs such as excessive smoking. Typically if there is too much fuel to the amount of air dark grey smoke would result. Excess air would produce a white smoke.
Perfect combustion would result in no noticeable smoke. Dirty, partially clogged injectors would also result in incomplete combustion and thus bad milage as would low compression.
no colored smoke is leaving my exhaust. so i guess we can rule out the mentioned above.
Any other idea?

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Check for excessive fuel pressure using a fuel pressure gauge. It could be that the fuel pressure regulator is not working. I've also seen the vacuum hose split and disconnect from the fuel pressure regulator, which would cause excessive fuel pressure. The hose is located at the very back of the engine not far from the firewall. A bad oxygen sensor or MAS could also cause an engine to run too rich. Ideally, it would be best to have the emissions tested with an exhaust gas analyzer. You might also want to pull out those spark plugs and see what they look like (are they coated in carbon, blistering, show signs of oil burning, or a nice, tan color, for example?). I wouldn't replace the distributor unless you are getting an ignition misfire or no spark condition. You might also want to check the engine compression. Is the engine sluggish? Perhaps the timing belt jumped a tooth?

waelkd

Postby waelkd » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:27 am

ill check on the above

one thing ive noticed that wheneve ri turn on the car , a squeeky voice comes from the motor due to a belt being old i guess. would this be a reason of an excessive fuel consumption .

Thanks

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:55 am

No, the belts drive accessories. Adjusting the tension on the belts is fairly easy. Getting to the power steering adjusting bolt not is as easy. I was surprised at how tight I needed to get my power steering belt to eliminate the squeal on startup. A loose belt will not affect gas consumption.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:54 am

If the fuel pressure regulator is causing the pump to run at max pressure, it can cause a high-pitched whine noise, FYI.

waelkd

Postby waelkd » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:20 am

smj999smj wrote:If the fuel pressure regulator is causing the pump to run at max pressure, it can cause a high-pitched whine noise, FYI.

will keep that in mind.

Thanks brah

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”