Possible bad Alternator or electrical problem?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Deanster

Possible bad Alternator or electrical problem?

Postby Deanster » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 am

Ok so bought a 02 pathfinder 2wd LE on Friday night from someone who just used it to move from California to Az a few days prior and on Saturday morning when cleaning it up I noticed the radio lights were really dim and then the battery was dead so the car wouldn't start. Got the battery replaced Saturday morning and now noticed Wednesday morning when pulling it into the garage I flipped on the headlights to see how close to the wall I was getting and noticed when I did so the display on the temperature control and the radio went really dim but the moment the lights got turned off the displays got bright again. So my question is should I be worrying that there's a bad alternator or electrical problem someplace killing the battery or is it a possible bad wiring behind the displays causing it like I read some other people having because the car started up right away like it has been all day today along with the easily 13 other times it's been started since the new battery was put into it on Sunday? Besides this one little worry I have we love the car and already looking for a second one to buy.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Take it one of the auto stores.. They will load test it for free which will address the battery and alternator.

Deanster

Postby Deanster » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Yeah that's what I'm gonna probably do. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience with theirs. I just got finished driving it about 45 miles making multiple stops and it started right up everytime and didn't feel like it was low on power. Im gonna guess it's a bad wire in the console causing the display to dim when the headlight go on untill I can get it tested.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Most Nissans charge around 14.7 volts, but it should charge anywhere from 13.2-15.0 volts with and without loads "on."

Deanster

Postby Deanster » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Will have to see if we still have a voltage meter in the garage. If not the vehicle started up and ran no problem all day today and so far this week and besides the dimming displays it didnt seem to have a power shortage or anything

Deanster

Problem Solved!!!

Postby Deanster » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Figured out what was happening and turns out their no bad parts on the car. Can't believe I didn't check this first but as I was driving down the freeway it was getting dark so turned on the lights. Couldn't see the guages so it finally hit me to check the dimmer switch. Yeah it was at the off setting so raised it up 100% and all the displays and lights were working just as they should again. So that solved that problem but then came the problem I noticed of the seat not sliding back/into place when the cars turned off and on. Well turned out that's because the seat somehow ended up being dropped back as far as it would go as it's driving position so it had no place to move. So after re-adjusting the seat forward some then turning the car off and feeling the sets slid back gave me the good sign that there's nothing wrong with the car like I thought and instead things just got reset. [/u]

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”