Frequent stalling & Computer?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

CAPathy

Frequent stalling & Computer?

Postby CAPathy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 pm

I have a 97 pathfinder and jus recently it started to randomly stall while driving. My research so far points to the MAf but I was also wondering if it could be a problem with the computer? When I start the car, the only light on the dash is the airbag light. This seems weird to me but then again I'm comparing it to a much newer car. Does anyone with a 97 know what is supposed to light up on dash when it's started?

97 3.3l manual transmission

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 am

When you turn the key to the "ON" position, engine not running, all of the warning lights should light up as part of the bulb check function. Those lights should go off when you start the car. If the airbag light is flashing, it could be the air bag control unit located under the center console; this was a common failure on 96-98 Pathfinders, as well as many other mid-90's Nissans. If the light is on steady, you should check the airbag fuses first, and, if they are okay, have the airbag system codes read. This will require a scantool capable of retrieving Nissan air bag system codes.
As far as a computer issue, it's possible, but rare. Nissan computers are usually pretty reliable and don't fail often. Stalling can be caused through a number of issues. It could be a dirty or bad MAF sensor, but it could be something else entirely different, such as a dirty or faulty IACV/AAC control valve (idle air control valve/auxiliary air control valve). Low fuel pressure, worn ignition system components, vacuum leaks, etc., can all cause stalling issues. The proper thing to do would be to make a general inspection of the ignition system and vacuum hoses, test the fuel pressure and use the Nissan factory service manual to follow the steps to diagnose a stalling problem.

CAPathy

Postby CAPathy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:22 am

Yeah I'm just getting a flashing air bag light. Nothing else. I'll check that next and then go through all the sensors etc. thanks for all the great info. Hopefully I can get this fixed soon so it can pass smog.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:40 pm

If it's a steady flashing where all flashes are the same time length, the air bag control unit is in "present diagnostic mode." Sometimes you can do the manual reset with the driver's door switch, but it doesn't always work. There were a lot of failed air bag control units in mid-90's Nissans and there was a technical service bulletin addressing it to replaced the "air bag diagnostic sensor and control unit assembly."

CAPathy

Postby CAPathy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Okay. So still having this problem. The pathfinder stalls every 1-4 miles. Even while idling, it stalled after 9 minutes. It cuts out completely and I still cannot smog it due to this issue.

Every time it stalls it seems to reset something because the smog station keeps saying the car is not ready. It passed emissions but the OBD2 had 3 different systems that said "not ready". Which I guess this means she legally cannot pass the car even though the emissions are fine. She said just to drive more miles, I've put about 500 on it since then and it's still not ready according to her computer.

The only code coming up is the knock sensor but there is no way, in my opinion, that that is causing all these problems. I will relocate it soon but I want the stalling fixed first.

If anyone is in San Diego and wants to look at the engine with me, I'll supply some beer :D

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”