Gabriel Shocks and Struts + tires

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

63ronin

Gabriel Shocks and Struts + tires

Postby 63ronin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:40 am

Hi All

I have a '97 Pathfinder. Ride is "plush" not unlike a Cadillac. About 165k miles. I'm looking at putting in new shocks and struts. My Pathy is not mint. The odd dirt road. But no real 4x4 stuff. Mostly daily driver city and highway stuff. I need a reasonable ride. Not super high performance. Don't need 50 years from them. Plus, I'm cheap because my wife won't raise my allowance.

Gabriels seem the most cost effective route for shocks and struts. But I haven't seen too many posting commenting on them. Any thoughts?

My tires are getting down there as well. Never liked the the Nokians that the vehicle came with. Was thinking maybe some Firestone Destination A/T (235-75R15). Any thoughts on those?

Finally, does anyone happen to know the offset of the original wheels? 0, +6? Something like that?

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:00 pm

I can understand not wanting to spend a lot of money, but I also take in that fact that parts for the suspension and tires directly affect handling and safety and that the R50's were never really a really good handling vehicle from the factory. Even on a budget, though, you can get a set of KYB GR-2 struts and shocks from Rockauto.com for $186 (use discount code "2506606922928821." KYB is the OE supplier of struts and shocks for the R50 Pathfinders and the GR-2 is a good factory replacement. Personally, I've never used Gabriels on a Nissan, but for those vehicles I have had with Gabriels, I've never been impressed. If you are looking for nothing but the lowest price, check out the Sensen shocks and struts at Rockauto.
As far as tires, the best riding tire I have ever had on a Pathfinder is the Michelin LTX M/S2. They are also quiet, have a ridiculous treadwear rating, and do well in rain and a reasonable amount of snow...but, they are expensive. Most of the reviews on the Destination LE's I've heard have been decent. Nitto Crossteks are a very good tire at a decent price and are a bit of a hybrid, "highway/terrain" tire. Nitto is a division of Toyo tires. I'm currently running Nitto Dura Grapplers, which are very good tires, but they are a very hard riding tire.

63ronin

Postby 63ronin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Wow... someone finally responded. I was beginning to worry. I guess the fact that no one commented on using Gabrial's sort of perhaps says something. Like maybe no one uses them.

I can afford the KYBs. I was just being cheap. But I'll take a look at your suggestion and see if I can find the price you mention.

Tires... yea, that's another matter. Right now I have some cheap 235 75R15's (that's what the last owner put on). But it feels like there is no side wall strength. Was thinking of looking into some 16"wheels with slightly lower profile to try and get better sidewall strength.

Appreciate the feedback.
Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Rather than change the wheel size, which would make for a harsher ride, you could just get a better tire. The Nitto Dura Grapplers I'm currently using on my R51 are a "highway/terrain" tire (as they call it) that aren't too expensive, have a good traction and great treadwear ratings, quiet, and do stiffen up the ride quite a bit (compared to the Michelins I had on before them). That would save you from having to buy new wheels.

63ronin

Postby 63ronin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:19 pm

OK... So I went with the KYB's. Really not that expensive. I installed the new rear shocks yesterday. That was pretty easy. Had to give up trying to do the front struts today. The bolt that connects the stabelizer bar link to the strut just will not come off. Sprayed right and left sides with liquid wrench. Let that sit for quite a while. Tried my long pry bar. Tried my pneumatic impact. Neither side even budged. If not for that, it looks like replacing the struts would be pretty easy.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”