2003 fan speed - NOT the resistor?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Livemeyer

2003 fan speed - NOT the resistor?

Postby Livemeyer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:01 am

On my 2003 Path I had a hot day in California with the A/C on, the fan decided to stick on high. Drove it back to WA with fan on high, but A/C stopped working. Days later, it went from high/no a/c to low with a/c. I have tried replacing the blower resistor three times and none have made any change. Now I'm wondering what else to look for. Any suggestion?

Livemeyer

Postby Livemeyer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Well this place was no help...

Should I keep buying replacement resistors in the hopes that one will work?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:46 pm

The blower resistor only controls the speed of the fan. If the resistor burns out, it will usually allow only high speed operation of the fan...or, rarely, no operation at all by the fan. Your symptoms don't sound like that of a bad resistor. You don't state whether it's manual A/C or auto climate control. If it's the later, it "could" be a faulty control unit. My advice would be to download a factory service manual, or at least the heating and A/C section of the factory service manual, for your vehicle and use the symptom chart, diagnostic procedure(s) it points to, and the electrical diagrams to diagnose the problem, if that is something in your ability to do and you have the equipment to do so, typically a 12V test light and multimeter. If this is beyond what you feel comfortable with, I would recommend you have a reputable mechanic have a look at it.

Livemeyer

Postby Livemeyer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Yes, I didn't say if it was manual control or automatic for the A/C. It is manual, sorry about that. I figured since I indicated I was replacing the resistor it was a given that I was speaking about manual control... It was stuck on high (and no air conditioning) the entire drive back to WA from southern CA. But after a couple days of fiddling with it (meaning, the fan speed switch on the dash) it stopped running on high and went to low, but the A/C came back. Not sure what to make of that. I have it going into my mechanic next week for another item so I'll have them take a look at that as well.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:13 pm

You might want to check the fan switch, in that case.

Livemeyer

Postby Livemeyer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:44 pm

It turned out to be the fan switch. I bought one at pick n pull for $5, put an ohm meter on it, it tested good, swapped it in place of the original in the dash, and voila! working again.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”