What to look for when buying.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

acidreptar

What to look for when buying.

Postby acidreptar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:02 pm

I currently drive a 1990 300zx TT and am looking at getting and older style pathfinder for my winter car. What should i look for specifically? What are Common Problems of this age?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:28 pm

For the R50's, there was a model refresh mid-year '99...then in 2001, the VG33E timing belt engine was replaced by the more powerful VQ35DE, which had timing chains. Rust in the front strut towers has been an issue, but is covered in a recent recall. Bad rear suspension link bushings have been a big problem and will call the rear of the vehicle to wander all over the road while driving if bad. Unlike the earlier WD21 and later R51 Pathfinders which had a full, box frame, the R50 has a unibody chassis. If you have the VG33E, you'll want to know when the timing belt was replaced, as it is an interference engine. The later VQ35DE has had a few that have had the power valve screws fall out and into the engine because of a lack of factory-applied thread locker. The VQ is a lot more technically advanced than the VG, but has also had a lot more check engine light concerns due to numerous issues, including oxygen sensors, bad coil packs, some bad MAF sensors. 96-98 models have had some issues with air bag control units failing and bad throttle position sensors and 96-97 models have had problems with cracking right side exhaust manifolds. At this point, a lot of those problems have likely been addressed, or, at least we hope so.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”