Intermittent Stalling

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

CAPathy

Intermittent Stalling

Postby CAPathy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:37 am

97 Pathy, 4x4 5 spd manual

The pathfinder stalls every 1-4 miles. Even while idling, it stalled after 9 minutes. It cuts out completely and I still cannot smog it due to this issue.

Every time it stalls it seems to reset something because the smog station keeps saying the car is not ready. It passed emissions but the OBD2 had 3 different systems that said "not ready". Which I guess this means she legally cannot pass the car even though the emissions are fine. She said just to drive more miles, I've put about 500 on it since then and it's still not ready according to her computer.

The only code coming up is the knock sensor but there is no way, in my opinion, that that is causing all these problems. I will relocate it soon but I want the stalling fixed first.

If anyone is in San Diego and wants to look at the engine with me, I'll supply some beer :D

If you have had this experience or know of a connector or ground that could cause this problem, please share! I just want to take my baby to the desert!!

OBDII paper:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4_5E ... authuser=0[/img]

parkbackwards

Postby parkbackwards » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Had a similar issue last month. I could hear a clicking from the engine. Turned out to be a bad coil that was arching to the distributor body. Took the dist. apart and could see burn marks in there.

CAPathy

Postby CAPathy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for that input! I heard one other discussion mention the distributer so I might try replacing that. I have a 98 R50 Auto so if it is interchangeable, at least I can see if thats the problem.

CAPathy

Postby CAPathy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:49 pm

parkbackwards wrote:Had a similar issue last month. I could hear a clicking from the engine. Turned out to be a bad coil that was arching to the distributor body. Took the dist. apart and could see burn marks in there.
Thanks for the reply! I also have a 98 R50 auto, if the parts are interchangeable I will try to swap tomorrow [i'll check for the burn marks as well]... really hope this is the fix!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”